Lost an AT to itch

I got this AT for 2 weeks and was doing fine until I noticed white spots about 1 week ago, and this morning she is gone... I measured my water parameter, NO4 is zero, water flow is strong, not sure what I did wrong..

I got the fish only 1-2 days it arrived in the shop, was eating in my tank tho...Is the only tang in my 4 footer. Any expert here can share some views?

Cheers.

Try not to feed anything within 5 to 7 days (don worry it wot die i hv did it many times b 4 chance is higher ..) qt the fish alone depd the size of the fish best above 4ft with some mature live rocks or cured rocks do not on any light whin a week.. put some garlic n vat c in the tank b 4 u pla the fish (im using kent marine ) heres my 2 cents thanks

• 3 weeks later...

YOUR AT DIED OF ICH!!

Sadly my only success with AT is i keep it in a coppered tank and many successful AT keepers will tell you the same!

Without dosing copper, i have never kept a single AT alive. I only know of very few pple who manage to keep AT long enough in a reef tank without copper. Bro dnsfpl is one of them.

Feeding is only moderate difficult. They eventually start eating after a week or two.

But what caused them to die within the first a week is ich.

Stay away from AT unless (1) you are ready to dose copper or (2) you have an ultra stable and seasoned tank!!

• SRC Member

My personal experience.

QT my AT, PBT, Naso for a month. During this period, I fed them frequently with a variety of pellet food. Of cos do ensure QT cleanliness.

I introduced them to DT. Ich developed on AT,PBT.

4 mths into DT and mild ich comes and go.(All tangs eating and swimming strong).

Husbandry includes

1) every 4 days filter sock change, using lower micron(20-50) socks over filter sock to sieve out ich parasite.

2) Weekly water change to siphon out ich parasite at dead spot in DT.

Hmmm. I see. But I noticed that the tang will always swim close to the shrimp and the shrimp seems like plucking the ich out. I maybe wrong.

No inverts will eat ich (trophont stage) off the body of a tang. Neither will cleaner wrasse do that.

The visible ich (trophont stage) on the fish body drop off on its own after 3 to 7 days to encyst itself and start another cycle of even deadlier infection.

So do not be fooled when you see the ich on a fish cleared, it is going to come back and cause an outbreak.

The free swimming ich (theront stage) is the only stage when copper or hyposalinity is effective against it.

Do a search on the net and you will find tonnes of articles on ich cycle and the cure.

No inverts will eat ich (trophont stage) off the body of a tang. Neither will cleaner wrasse do that.

The visible ich (trophont stage) on the fish body drop off on its own after 3 to 7 days to encyst itself and start another cycle of even deadlier infection.

So do not be fooled when you see the ich on a fish cleared, it is going to come back and cause an outbreak.

The free swimming ich (theront stage) is the only stage when copper or hyposalinity is effective against it.

Do a search on the net and you will find tonnes of articles on ich cycle and the cure.

Thanks bro for enlightening.

• SRC Member

my AT has been in tank for about 2-3 month i think.

At 1 stage the ich was pretty bad thought gone case but now seems ok. Was bracing for a full tank ich out break but somehow only the AT has it. Other lifestocks such as clown,YT,BT etc no probs.

Did use poly lab medic also at the starting 1 month. After that stop liao. I do thing the poly lab helped prevent an outbreak but at the same time my AT ich seems to get worst when i dose (i dont dose on sunday since i am not in office and on monday the ich always seems better) which is why i stopped dosing after 1/2 a bottle was used.

right now seems to still have a bit of ich on and off and is thinner than before. But the AT is always the first that cheong for the dried seaweed when i add it to tank. pellet still not eating thou it seems curious and rush out with the other tang when i feed. Frozen food...bugger is selective...sometimes i see him swallowing the food other times it nips and spits out!

my AT has been in tank for about 2-3 month i think.

At 1 stage the ich was pretty bad thought gone case but now seems ok. Was bracing for a full tank ich out break but somehow only the AT has it. Other lifestocks such as clown,YT,BT etc no probs.

Did use poly lab medic also at the starting 1 month. After that stop liao. I do thing the poly lab helped prevent an outbreak but at the same time my AT ich seems to get worst when i dose (i dont dose on sunday since i am not in office and on monday the ich always seems better) which is why i stopped dosing after 1/2 a bottle was used.

right now seems to still have a bit of ich on and off and is thinner than before. But the AT is always the first that cheong for the dried seaweed when i add it to tank. pellet still not eating thou it seems curious and rush out with the other tang when i feed. Frozen food...bugger is selective...sometimes i see him swallowing the food other times it nips and spits out!

Seaweed with garlic??