Electric shock when touching water

• SRC Member

Electricity is coming from the electrical devices in contact with the water. More often than not, the culprit are powerheads and pumps.

Do you have a test pen or ampmeter?

Many will tell you to add a grounding probe to earth the current but I think it's better to solve the problem than to suppress it. Find out which pump is leaking the electricity by putting each one into a bucket of water and test with a test pen. If the problem is left unchecked, the copper wire in contact with the saltwater will slowly corrode and leach copper into the tank.

An alternative is that sometimes when your arm is in an awkward position e.g. reaching into the tank, a nerve gets compressed or distended resulting in a sensation of electric shock.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

yah... quite agree with Tanzy, grounding the tank is just prevention, finding the root of the problem is a permenent solution. However, tank grounding is very useful if u wan to play safe, small amount of current is fine but if there is a huge amount of current leakage, it could kill us if we get contact to the water or any wet area... grounding provide a safety net where if the leakage is too much, the MCB will trip and safe our life.

• Sponsor

:lol: Couldn't agree more on this, had been shocked couple of times in my home set up while fiddling with the pumps, safer to switch off all pumps before putting hand in tank. Or if you need to have power on, put on a pair of dry rubber slippers.

Leaks can be common not just from a faulty pump but from the lack of cleaning. The damp salt creep from above water electrical devices like cooling fans or lights can contribute a live circuit sometimes too... :o

Always practice safety and use certified plugs with circuit breakers. And if you are wondering about the fish, most will not be show any symptoms since they are not earthed although some research link HLLE to leaks. However, personal experience tell me that elasmobranchs like sharks and rays will get agitated and die with leaks, also, damaged individuals like the sores often found on trigger mouths sometimes don't heal :( and get worse with leaks.

• SRC Member
:lol: Couldn't agree more on this, had been shocked couple of times in my home set up while fiddling with the pumps, safer to switch off all pumps before putting hand in tank. Or if you need to have power on, put on a pair of dry rubber slippers.

Then again you wouldn't know if your fishes are actually shocked.. see if your fishes die one by one to determine? .. :lol:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• Sponsor

Then again you wouldn't know if your fishes are actually shocked.. see if your fishes die one by one to determine? .. :lol:

:lol: Yes, hence for all fish lovers, let's not test to find out the worst that can happen in leaks to our aquatic pets. Get that test pen and stop the leaks if you love your pets! :angel:

• SRC Member

Hi,

In my opinion, prevention with ground probe is just as important as finding the root cause of leakage. I'm speaking as a proud father of 2 lovely kids and would not want to take any chance since my tank is an open-top type.

My 2 cents.

LimPC

• SRC Member

sometimes it can also be the fish that attack the wires... My puffer completely bit through the wire of my thermometer probe... luckily it's just battery powered... though it's just a thin wire I wouldn't be surprised if it bites and exposes another live wire in future...

• SRC Member
Hi All,

This happened to my tank too....

after i fixing the grounding probe> earth, there is no more shock..

The titanium probe is available around $20

SF

and you gonna leave it as it is? :huh: .. grounding probe is just a precaution.. Please find out the source of the problem and eliminate it. :(

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

checked with my license electrician, they told me is alway happen to 2pin plug problems, he told me to fix the grounding.

It usually happens but doesn't mean it should mah.. I believe many do not face this problem. Better to check which device is causing the leak and get it fixed. ;)

• SRC Member

I only have 2 PowerHead, chiller and MH light. Where can the leak come from??

Only PowerHead...

usually is the PH. Safest way is to use test pen on them one by one.