• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Octopus bro,

no offense but your design is extremely dangerous. And the float switch is not of sufficient high grade to handle a direct AC 220V through it in the water...ie it is not built with enough insulation to prevent current or voltage leaks.

A float switch which can safely be used in this way are those in the region of $50 and above and made of ABS plastic with total wire insulation built into the float switch.

And even then, the joins to the float switch wire needs to be carefully waterproofed and completely insulated.

Using direct LIVE voltage is no joke.....please make sure its safe. Its not worth risking lives to save some money.

You may think its only neutral in the float switch but if you are using 2 pin plug, when you swap the plug the other way, it becomes live! And even when it is neutral through the float switch, when it closes (turns on) LIVE flows through it.

I strongly recommend you change your wiring diagram to incorporate a DC source with relay through the float switch.

PS. Hope you don't get offended by my remarks. But it is purely out of safety concerns.

Cheers

:peace:

• SRC Member

Hey Octopus....be a gentleman. Why are you taking it so badly?

I said its not safe for AC voltage to flow direct through the float switch for use in an aquarium tank.

I added on to say that its best to use a DC voltage and relays in your design. By saying this, I provided you with a solution to still be able to better use your float switch.

Since you handle things this way, I bet you wanna be responsible for any accidents caused by any reefer without electrical knowledge who follows your design? Let me ask you is it worth the money earned by risking someone else's life? There could be and probably are many school kids here who will just try it out.

I never condemned the float switch. I just said your design is not safe. Do you really need your supplier to tell you if your design is safe or not?

Will the electrical experts here kindly comment too? Barracuda? Dr Evil?

thanks

The problem now is not current leakage from the AC pump.

The problem is current leakage from the float switch itself. If the leakage is bad enuff then someone might get electrocuted and worst of all if a child touch it and die then big time story already. I am sure you don't want to be held responsible for that?

If the user do not have a sump drilled for the float switch then it is more dangerous because the wire is always submerged.

However if you in-cooperate a relay (either mechanical relay or optical isolator) so that only DC current runs thru the float switch, this is an added level of safety. In case of leakage, 12v or 5v DC is not as harmful as 230v AC. This added safety feature will not cost much and is worth the extra price. I am sure you could get a factory here to do it and it will not cost a lot.

This is just my 2cents worth of comments.

• SRC Member
Hi All,

Just called my friend from PSB engineer.

he :lol: his short reply: is your AC pump "Submersible in your tank"?

get it???

Octopus BAY

Hi bro,

pls dun misunderstand. I am not trying to create trouble or pull down your sales. I am just very concerned about the electrical safety. In fact I even helped you by suggesting other ways of using the float switch you are selling.

Power heads, pumps are all designed with professional molding companies with QA checks and electrical insulation protection. They are companies who can be sued in any incident of accidental faulty pumps which cause death or injury. So they have a tremendous responsibility to ensure their pumps do not leak underwater in marine usage. Because they can be sued, they know their responsibility and take proper precautions.

However even if you use all the safe parts used in a safe pump, the fact that its DIYed reduces the safety factor by ten fold.

A safe approved electrical component is only safe in the hands of a qualified person who at least has some strong electrical foundation. In unskilled hands, any safe product is still unsafe. And it is made worse if the design is high risk, which in this case I highlighted.

Anyway, its up to the individual. :ph34r:

I have spoken out simply because you posted this in the DIY section. If it were your own sponsored section, I would not comment, and would keep my mouth shut.

I'm sorry but I dun believe in using a grounding probe to solve a dangerous design. :blink:

This is a design discussion and not directed at you so I hope you don't take it personally. :peace:

Cheers

• SRC Member

We need a certified power engineer to comment on this.

But to my limited knowledge, if there is indeed a ac short to the tank, the presence of a ground probe will immediately induce a earth leakage trip in the house. If somehow the ground probe is improperly installed or dislodge, it is a definite cause for electrocution.

For this reason, all respectable commercial top-ups are dc driven. Cost savings are good, but it must be done properly.

:peace:

Let me give you an example.

You use a low quality non-water proof plug in you balcony where it is subjected to the rain and shine. It is a matter of time before something gets shorted there.

Yes the ELCB will trip but won't it be safer if you had used a weather proof plug in the first place?

When it comes to electricity, the more safetly the better.

• SRC Member

a grounding probe should be use as the last line of defence. Even so, properly siting the probe is also another issue. Improper installation at the wrong place within the tank doesn't reduce the hazardness of stray/leaked currents.

I tend to agree with Cookie on the "######" use of the float switch! You dun need to have any regulatory or "branded" company to back on the safety of the product. Shit can happen and it will happen. Just do your utmost in the preventing it from happening even if the chance of the device failing is very low! a simple 2nd stage relay using DC current will ease all worries.

cheers!

• Sponsor

Cookiemunster,

Dont worry... We are all learning everyday.

I have email to our England supplier, about their design given.

For your info: This Switch is used in the liquid industires, switch "attached" in a "HIGHER Wattage pump" "submersed in a liquid tank to draw liquid".

Usage is to STOP the pump flow when the liquid level is low.

We have check with the supplier on usage and we gather more information and post it.

ALL COMMENTS ARE GOOD COMMENTS.

Octopus Bay

Bravo, Mr Octopus Bay! :)

I must commend you on your cool, non-hostile & non-defensive way of handling this situation.

You have something to teach some people who can't handle negativity even in the slightest amount. :rolleyes:

• Sponsor

I have used this type of switch before... It is a low level alarm switch which is installed at the bottom of the vat holding liquid.. at a certain head above the NPSHR of the pump inlet. Normally, we have always drilled a hole in the vat and then installed the switch partially.. i.e. half in and half out. Only the float end is in contact with the liquid. Even then, we would normally add another two or three layers of silicone to ensure that it is completely waterproof. It is def not a good idea to just immerse the float switch competely in the water... Pump that we were running... say low end abt 6000kW and the highest end abt 20.5MW pump... high wattage enough... but i digress... Safety is very important... especially when it comes to electricity... you cant see it but it can kill you if you are not careful....

For our marine hobby, why not just incorprate a DC system or loop... would it not be safer and better instead of just wanting to go ahead with the AC method... B)

Benz,

Yes... Agreed... is the matter of AC and DC... (BIG CURRENT AND SMALL CURRENT)

Will look into it and improve on this.. THANK YOU ALL THE COMMENTS....

AT,

I gain from the comments... hehehehehehe :lol:

Octopus BAY

• SRC Member

Hi,

I like to really share my experience here, after reading it.

I have 3 tanks of discus at home and one day one of my *ena heater broke in of my Tank and shock circuit in my house. . total darkness at home. After checking and reset the ELCB, It was a direct current in water thought I will see some cooked discus in my tank.

Luckily nothing happen to my expensive discus fish. I find that ELCB in your house is very important.

If you people worry the A/C D/C current can kill you, better have your license electrician to check on the ELCB in your DB box.

Seriously I dont see any problems with using any 220V Aquarium equipment into the water.

I see this overall posted comments read a little funny to me. You people understand.

Just my comments.

SF