Cycling of new tank

Hi fellow reefers, I have a problem. During my 4th day of cycling, my tank have massive die off. The bristleworms, hitchhiker crab, some wierd looking prawns n pods are all died on my sandbed. Test result ammonia 0.3 N nitrite 5ppm. Today's the 5th day and water became cloudy. A check on water and shown ammonia 5ppm and nitrite 10ppm! There are no fishes inside. Should I do a water change or let it recover by itself?

Hi Martian, no worries as there are no livestock in the aquarium. I'm just very surprised that all hitchhikers started to die on day 4. Cloudy water for day 1 and 2 but cleared on 3rd day. 4th day clear water with sudden hitchhikers die off and day 5 which is today cloudy again. :o Hopefully it doesn't take too long to cycle this tank as I am waiting to migrate my livestock from existing 1ft nano to their new home. :rolleyes: (Apologies as I have not cycled a bigger tank before as my current is a 1ft nano and it took few days to cycle with NSW and rock).

• SRC Member

Everything is actually looking good.. don't do anything. The cloudiness is due to bacteria bloom which is the very reason why u cycle ur tank. Cheers.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Just hang on there it's heading the right way for cycling.

For me i will start checking my parameter only on 3rd week to save up on the test kit, but it's all up to individual preference,

Once everything become 0, a good water change and you are good to go.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp