Custom sump and DIY overflow

DerrickLim

Hi everyone,

I need advice on a few things.

My tank is 190L and sumpless. Running on canister. I intend to get shop to custom make a sump.

1) any reasonably priced shop that can just make the sump only since I have the tank already?

2) I have some instructions on diy overflow ( not siphon). What pipe diameter should I use for intake?

3) where can I find black pvc pipe that is safe for aquarium?

4) how do I estimate the flow rate of return pump? Certainly not the bigger the better right?

5) Any advantage of using acrylic instead of glsss for sump? Is acrylic cheaper?

Thanks.

• SRC Supporter

Hi everyone,

I need advice on a few things.

My tank is 190L and sumpless. Running on canister. I intend to get shop to custom make a sump.

1) any reasonably priced shop that can just make the sump only since I have the tank already? there are very cheap ones but i would suggest you get some reputated and experience tank maker to help you as i assume you are new to this hobby. look for our sponsors like aquarium artist.

2) I have some instructions on diy overflow ( not siphon). What pipe diameter should I use for intake? do you mean external overflow or durso?

3) where can I find black pvc pipe that is safe for aquarium? sorry cant help on this

4) how do I estimate the flow rate of return pump? Certainly not the bigger the better right? it will have to depend on the amount of water your downflow pipe can handle.

5) Any advantage of using acrylic instead of glsss for sump? Is acrylic cheaper? glass is much cheaper. i may be wrong, please check with others to confirm.

Thanks.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

My tank is 200L and I DIY my sumo and my overflow. No LFS carries ready made small sump of less than 3 ft. I used a 2ft acrylic tank for my sump. I bought some pre-cut acrylic sheets from a local hardware shop for about 20 bucks and siliconed them. There are many sump designs so you have to scour around external forums for the design. I'll try to take a picture of my sump for you if I have the time. My sump consists of a protein skimmer chamber, DSB chamber and a return pump chamber. My overflow is half inch grey PVC pipes and my return pump is 1500L/H. Nobody sells black PVC pipes so you'll need to paint them is you want it black and this sizing works fine for me. Hope the above will help you.

• Like 1

My tank is 200L and I DIY my sumo and my overflow. No LFS carries ready made small sump of less than 3 ft.

I used a 2ft acrylic tank for my sump. I bought some pre-cut acrylic sheets from a local hardware shop for about 20 bucks and siliconed them. There are many sump designs so you have to scour around external forums for the design. I'll try to take a picture of my sump for you if I have the time. My sump consists of a protein skimmer chamber, DSB chamber and a return pump chamber.

My overflow is half inch grey PVC pipes and my return pump is 1500L/H. Nobody sells black PVC pipes so you'll need to paint them is you want it black and this sizing works fine for me.

Hope the above will help you.

Here is a pic of my sump... My silicon skill was not that good so it's a little messy...post-22882-0-59224400-1383529349_thumb.j

My tank is 200L and I DIY my sumo and my overflow. No LFS carries ready made small sump of less than 3 ft. I used a 2ft acrylic tank for my sump. I bought some pre-cut acrylic sheets from a local hardware shop for about 20 bucks and siliconed them. There are many sump designs so you have to scour around external forums for the design. I'll try to take a picture of my sump for you if I have the time. My sump consists of a protein skimmer chamber, DSB chamber and a return pump chamber. My overflow is half inch grey PVC pipes and my return pump is 1500L/H. Nobody sells black PVC pipes so you'll need to paint them is you want it black and this sizing works fine for me. Hope the above will help you.

Hi Bro,

Thanks for the info. We have similar tank size so your specs will help me a lot.

With the half inch pipe, do you have to use a valve to restrict the output of your return pump? May I know which return pump u r using?

Hi Bro, Thanks for the info. We have similar tank size so your specs will help me a lot. With the half inch pipe, do you have to use a valve to restrict the output of your return pump? May I know which return pump u r using?
Sorry, my mistake, my overflow is actually 1 inch. Are you using all rigid pipes like mine? If yes, you should require: 1.) a check valve to prevent back flow if your outlet to the DT is below the water level. Otherwise you'll have a mess if you turn the return pump off, 2.) a regulating valve so if you get a bigger pump you can still adjust the flow to match the overflow rate, 3.) a union or 2 depending on your pipe design for dismantling and maintenance if necessary. My pump is order online from China so I doubt you can find it here. One draw back of using a submersible pump is the heat generated by it. I'm using it b'coz I cannot find a external pump small enough for my use. So if you happen to use a slightly bigger pump, you should increase the size of the overflow to 1 and half inch. Above is just my opinion. You study and improve on it further.

Updates: got my 2ft sump, return pump, grey piping. Is there a reliable brand/model of Check valve that I should use? I went to C328 and Qianhu. Both doesn't sell water check valve.
You can just get them from the hardware shops selling the pipes...

• SRC Member

Just a thought, why not just buy an overflow box (~$130) that can handle 5000 litres per hour and you can have a powerful return. If your tank is 190 litres(round up 200), it will be 5000/200=25 times water turnover. Get yourself a 2500-3500 litres per hour return pump and you can achieve the minimum 10 times water turnover.

Just drill an anti siphon hole in your return to prevent reverse siphon when your return stop. If you find it noisy maybe adding a normal (air) check valve to the anti siphon hole should do the trick.

• SRC Member

Just a thought, why not just buy an overflow box (~$130) that can handle 5000 litres per hour and you can have a powerful return. If your tank is 190 litres(round up 200), it will be 5000/200=25 times water turnover. Get yourself a 2500-3500 litres per hour return pump and you can achieve the minimum 10 times water turnover.

Just drill an anti siphon hole in your return to prevent reverse siphon when your return stop. If you find it noisy maybe adding a normal (air) check valve to the anti siphon hole should do the trick.

The prints on the pipe says DNE JIS K6741:1999 16MM UPVC CLASS VU PIPE. I suppose it is safe to use for aquarium :-)
I think most upvc pipes are aquarium safe - just don't burn it. But you must be careful of the type of silicon that you are using. I found cheap ones at a hardware shop along Upper Cross Street at Blk 34.

Just a thought, why not just buy an overflow box (~$130) that can handle 5000 litres per hour and you can have a powerful return. If your tank is 190 litres(round up 200), it will be 5000/200=25 times water turnover. Get yourself a 2500-3500 litres per hour return pump and you can achieve the minimum 10 times water turnover. Just drill an anti siphon hole in your return to prevent reverse siphon when your return stop. If you find it noisy maybe adding a normal (air) check valve to the anti siphon hole should do the trick.
I don't know about Derrick but for me the overflow box takes up too must space for a 200L tank and it is also unsightly IMO.

I think most upvc pipes are aquarium safe - just don't burn it. But you must be careful of the type of silicon that you are using. I found cheap ones at a hardware shop along Upper Cross Street at Blk 34.
Silicon MUST be aquarium safe.

My tank has a thick euro bracing. Overflow box won't fit.

Thanks for the suggestion for siphon hole. Sounds good :-) will try.

Just a thought, why not just buy an overflow box (~$130) that can handle 5000 litres per hour and you can have a powerful return. If your tank is 190 litres(round up 200), it will be 5000/200=25 times water turnover. Get yourself a 2500-3500 litres per hour return pump and you can achieve the minimum 10 times water turnover. Just drill an anti siphon hole in your return to prevent reverse siphon when your return stop. If you find it noisy maybe adding a normal (air) check valve to the anti siphon hole should do the trick.
if there is power breakdown and siphon break at inlet, how ur counter it?