Tank project 5ft,2.5,2 - Newbie @ punggol 21

blackcell

• SRC Member

Bro, tall tank got pro n con..speaking from my current 2.5ft height tank now..tall tank view is very nice as u can see big fishes swim on top of one another in opposite direction..u got a larger view too like a one channel LED FHD TV..

The con will b maintenance..as our hand is not that long, its very difficult to reach out to the sand bed..scaping will oso be more difficult..u will need strong flow as need to push up the substrate to the top overflow..1 wp40 I think won't b enough..

For 5ft tank, I think its better to have 2 return pumps..in case 1 fail, there will still b overflow..for ur case, u still need to run chiller, if u r only gg for 1 pump, u got to get a strong pump like 10000 n above..note that head loss of pump is very great..

Bro, drink kopi, tcss at ur hse while viewing ur tank will b great..if u do need help in setting up or whatever, feel free to summon the kind reefers here..I will help if time permit..happy reefing..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Bro, tall tank got pro n con..speaking from my current 2.5ft height tank now..tall tank view is very nice as u can see big fishes swim on top of one another in opposite direction..u got a larger view too like a one channel LED FHD TV.. The con will b maintenance..as our hand is not that long, its very difficult to reach out to the sand bed..scaping will oso be more difficult..u will need strong flow as need to push up the substrate to the top overflow..1 wp40 I think won't b enough.. For 5ft tank, I think its better to have 2 return pumps..in case 1 fail, there will still b overflow..for ur case, u still need to run chiller, if u r only gg for 1 pump, u got to get a strong pump like 10000 n above..note that head loss of pump is very great.. Bro, drink kopi, tcss at ur hse while viewing ur tank will b great..if u do need help in setting up or whatever, feel free to summon the kind reefers here..I will help if time permit..happy reefing..
U r rite bro Had decomm my 4x2.2.5 ft tank last tym Still remember i nearly fall inside the tank while clearing 80kg of sands Hahahah

• SRC Member

Bro, tall tank got pro n con..speaking from my current 2.5ft height tank now..tall tank view is very nice as u can see big fishes swim on top of one another in opposite direction..u got a larger view too like a one channel LED FHD TV..

The con will b maintenance..as our hand is not that long, its very difficult to reach out to the sand bed..scaping will oso be more difficult..u will need strong flow as need to push up the substrate to the top overflow..1 wp40 I think won't b enough..

For 5ft tank, I think its better to have 2 return pumps..in case 1 fail, there will still b overflow..for ur case, u still need to run chiller, if u r only gg for 1 pump, u got to get a strong pump like 10000 n above..note that head loss of pump is very great..

Bro, drink kopi, tcss at ur hse while viewing ur tank will b great..if u do need help in setting up or whatever, feel free to summon the kind reefers here..I will help if time permit..happy reefing..

one of the more important consequence for having a deeper tank against a wider tank is oxygen exchange. computing the water volume in proportion to the area of water surface you will need lots of water motion to sustain a good oxygen supply in your water.

i also think a single eheim 1264 is not enough for the size of your tank; neither a single wavemaker. if you are planning to keep corals, you will need to consider the proper flow and turnover rate of your water for good filtration. just to give you an idea, i am running 1 x iwaki md70 and 1 x iwaki md30 as return pumps; 2 x vortech mp40, 2 x tunze 6060, 1 x tunze 6080, 1 x tunze 6100 and 1 x tunze 6130 for my 6ft L x 3ft W x 20" height sps tank.... with all these equipment, i still find water movement is not enough after liverocks are introduced.

better do things proper from the start as it might be more costly and troublesome to rectify mistakes.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

the return pumps and plumbing works are the skeleton or framework of a system. if you dont get it right from the start, the next time you want to make amendment is really difficult.

like what reefer guy said, i used to have a 16k return pump with 1 x mp40 and 3 x 6100 and i never find it sufficient.

it was on an sps tank. however, it is up to individual preference and how you position your liverocks etc.

but on the 1x ehiem 1264 to t-off so many i personally felt its not visible.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Hi bro, I agreed that its going to be tough to reach. I kinda heard stories about it.. It's the fun of it and I want to get my hands dirty.

The system that I am setting up is quite a strong pump, might consider to get the same one for standby. During cycle, I might have a idea on the water flow.

I standby kopi machine and ladder.. Let me know your schedule.. Lol

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

one of the more important consequence for having a deeper tank against a wider tank is oxygen exchange. computing the water volume in proportion to the area of water surface you will need lots of water motion to sustain a good oxygen supply in your water.

i also think a single eheim 1264 is not enough for the size of your tank; neither a single wavemaker. if you are planning to keep corals, you will need to consider the proper flow and turnover rate of your water for good filtration. just to give you an idea, i am running 1 x iwaki md70 and 1 x iwaki md30 as return pumps; 2 x vortech mp40, 2 x tunze 6060, 1 x tunze 6080, 1 x tunze 6100 and 1 x tunze 6130 for my 6ft L x 3ft W x 20" height sps tank.... with all these equipment, i still find water movement is not enough after liverocks are introduced.

better do things proper from the start as it might be more costly and troublesome to rectify mistakes.

Thanks bro. I will get more support stuff once I add coral and fishes.

Rule of the thumb, water is gold.. The rest can wait :)

Contrary to the rest, I suggest just try out the 1264 first. IMO, i think it is enough.

Yeah.. I have seen 6ft - 8ft setup with 1 pump.. The 1264 is a wolf in a sheep skin. Lol

• SRC Member

If you have decided to use a 1264, pls use another pump for your chiller and just let 1264 do the sole job for yr big tank; I would not recommend T-off for other purposes like chiller. Also, different chillers need different flow rates of the feeder pump to work efficiently.

• SRC Member

Bro, if u have decide one pump for ur setup, u have to plan ur pipe size now..for single return, go for bigger pipe to cater for more turnover of water in case u gg for sps in the future by just changing to a stronger pump..or u can opt for twin pipe return and put one on standby..

eheim 1264 flow rate is 4500L/H on specs..I dunnoe after headloss left how much flow..u got to try it out itself le..I believe for 6-8ft tank with a single eheim 1264 is fresh water setup or marine with very little bio-load maybe..marine setup need higher n better flow IMO..my current setup initially with underflow was a flop..just sharing my experience..

@ 291213

If you have decided to use a 1264, pls use another pump for your chiller and just let 1264 do the sole job for yr big tank; I would not recommend T-off for other purposes like chiller. Also, different chillers need different flow rates of the feeder pump to work efficiently.

chiller and skimmer all different pumps. I have dbl pump for the skimmer. should be quite good to clear up dirt :) Need to take picture to show you guys. i look forward to the tank to arrived soon !!

When you guys drink kopi, please jio me. New reefer here eager to learn.

we might setup up a meeting to drink kopi. I might have another marine setup at my restaurant in east coast, maybe can meet there once its up !!

North also have restaurant with reef tank. Which is the one in the west? Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I know which restaurant in the north u r talking abt. Lol

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
we might setup up a meeting to drink kopi. I might have another marine setup at my restaurant in east coast, maybe can meet there once its up !!
Wow bro..let us know where sure support..

@ 291213

Where is east coast? Hope it won't take too long to setup. Anybody know which restaurant has the best reef tank?

• SRC Member

Where is east coast? Hope it won't take too long to setup. Anybody know which restaurant has the best reef tank?

ho bro the restaurant is urs? been there before and saw the tank i think. think you can do a tcss session there, if got let me know i am usually around that area at night :)

• SRC Member

bro, I not very sure as I nber go b4 yet.. heard @ AM a few mths ago when AM's display tanks still setting up.. The builder of AM's display tank told me that he was building a 9 footer marine tank at a Italian Restaurant @ East Coast big splash there.. maybe u can go there have a look..

@ 291213