sponge & fire shrimps

• SRC Member

I have had 4 fire and 4 cleaner shrimps for a long while and they are doing fine. They need rocks to hide, will come out to search fro food when lights are off or when white light is off. Also, they need iodide to molt. Preferably temp should be below 27. Sponge, I'm not so sure. Starfish, they type with five pointed knobs in the center are not reefsafe. Only the blue and orange type called Lankin are reefsafe, but the blue ones can grow very big. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Sponges are filter feeders and do well when fed with plankton and to a lesser extent... plankton substitutes.

The blue ones commonly seen in LFS are photosynthetic but should be kept in an area of good flow to prevent algae/cynano growing on them.

If you are afraid of air bubbles in your sponges, simply shake it, or even squeeze it slightly to remove air bubbles. Broken pieces can be wedged into LR and they will embed and grow (provided they get fed).

• SRC Member

WoW Thank You for your reply :)

Erm do we consider shrimps output (waste) the same as we do for fishes . i mean is 4 fire shrimps bio load the same as 4 clown fish ..

Will a small 1.5 feet with one angle of the tank taken out to be an internal overflow and with about 4 shrimps and LR .. Do well ? maybe with a DSB

i was told some fishes will eat up good stuff on a DSB and if ur tank is too small no point keeping them . WIll shrimps do the same 2 eatting up good stuff on a sea bed ?

wow 27degress ? i guess itis hard to achieve it without a chiller or fan :(

But fan will cause salt spray around the house . *sob*

vivien :blink: