DIY Chiong Skimmer Version 2.0

Tanggy

• SRC Member

Hi Bros. Results from first skiimer way exceeded my exspectation. Kopi collected is concentrated, very black and disgusting. Foam produced is dry and stinks. So have move on to trying a round chamber and test my workmanship in attaching bulkhead to a cylinder (much harder).

Have constructed a second skimmer out of PVC. The chamber is 6inch diameter and 2ft hight. Full height with riser is almost 3ft high. Will be running on 1 recirculation pump first to try results with plans to add more pumbs later.

The pump is rated at 1600lt/hr and is removable for easy maintainence employing the use of unions. So just screw on or screw off. The body is sealed with PVC gluse to ensure water-tightest. The riser is removable for easy clean of collection cup. Will add a drip hose adaptor so can connect to waste container for easy waste removal.

It can be fed by either gravity through overflow or by pump. Will use pump first. If gravity fed, jus need to add ball-valve.

Now doing a wet run to test for leaks using fresh water and charging digi cam batteries. will post pics soon. :lol:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Haha not hostile.. just excited... I'm also looking into building a skimmer using opaque PVC pipes (hell of a lot cheaper)... seems like the needle wheel thing might be a good way...

One thing though, do you use a recirculation pump to generate the bubbles with another pushing water in and out of the skimmer or do you just use one pump to do it all?

Tanggy

Looks good. The only problem with PVC is you cannot monitor the bubble flow and see when a reduction in bubbles occur.

The area that needle wheel skimmers need servicing is to clean the salt/muck build-up that occurs at the air inlet. Might want to think about a straight air inlet rather than the 90 degree bend. Its easier to push a small nail or drill through a straight inlet. Just a suggestion.

• SRC Member
Well I did not seal the top part so can still make shorter. :)

I think this design is more towards the H&S, right?

so the 'needle' pump is the most important parts.

This one looks very nice. Maybe you can just painted it in some nice bright colour plus some stickers, etc.......sure look better than transparant type. :P

• SRC Member

I know the tube needs to be longer. it came with the pump so jus use first lor. Dont have spare tube liaoz...

As for the water level. what you say is true but can make do. I can just use acrylic riser tube. No need all acrylic. Anyway, the design is for the water to be just near the riser tube so just take out the rise and adjust the height to that point and adjust bit by bit. :P

I stiil need to attach the output and the input. But thats the easy part. The pump part is the hard part. lotsa work.

• SRC Member

Hunting for 3inch acrylic tube rite now. but if too ex, will make do with PVC riser.

The most important part to ensure the water level is the height of the outlet pipe. which will set the base level. The ballvalve is just to fine tune. If place externally, can also judge the height from the top.

• SRC Member
I think this design is more towards the H&S, right?

so the 'needle' pump is the most important parts.

This one looks very nice. Maybe you can just painted it in some nice bright colour plus some stickers, etc.......sure look better than transparant type. 

Actually, both the deltec and H&S are similar in design. as for who is the original one, I have no ideal.

Hmm.... paint. maybe can make a seriese with pics from sports illustrated swimwear edition!!.... ke ke... :evil:

• SRC Member
The most important part to ensure the water level is the height of the outlet pipe. which will set the base level. The ballvalve is just to fine tune. If place externally, can also judge the height from the top.

A little confused... care to explain this point?

• SRC Member

Was thinking os using 3 pump place semetrically so all the bubbles from the 3 pumps will collide to create even more contact with each other and the inlet to be placed higher pointing at the centre to create a counter current effect for better contact time. But will use one first cos bought brand new, not used pumps. so a bit ex to test on 3 new pumps.... :(

• SRC Member

The height of the outlet pipe is where the min height the water will be. cos only when the water level rise above the outlet pipe will it start to flow out of the skimmer. so if the water is lower than the pipe, water will not flow out of the skimmer.