Sump required?

p.tm

Hi fellow reefers

I'm quite new to this forum and the marine hobby, have been running a 2x1x1ft tank for about 6 months now and only starting stocking recently.. Currently have 2 maroon clownfish(yes they fight.. :( ), 2 azure damsels and a BTA. My question is whether I need a sump, and if I do, what do I need to build a sump? plumbing, overflow etc.. I do have small spare tank. A rough cost estimate would be useful too

Because I had a huge problem with nitrates before I did a major water change.

My ammonia and nitrites are zero, nitrates are about 20ppm, currently running on a HOB filter.

Thanks in advance

If you have existing cabinet to house ur spare tank. You then will probably just need..

A hang on overflow box. Aquamarin should have ready stock. About 100

Acrylic Partitions for your sump design and silicon (if u noe how to DIY) shouldn't cost u more than 30-50

Filter media/ carbon rings/balls live rocks or coral chips. Should cost about 50

You might want to think about getting a skimmer since u are experiencing nitrate issues..

If u are getting corals, then probably chiller

If u went a DSB in your sump then probably u might wanna get more sand

If you wanna run macro algae like cheato then u would need lights too..

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Member

I used Aquaclear 110 as a "mini" sump before for 1.5 ft cube nano. It works quite well.

I put filter sock in the in let as mechanical filter

a 15x9x12cm mini deep sand bed

coral chips compartment

carbon bags

chaeto compartment

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick replies guys :D

If you have existing cabinet to house ur spare tank. You then will probably just need..

A hang on overflow box. Aquamarin should have ready stock. About 100
Acrylic Partitions for your sump design and silicon (if u noe how to DIY) shouldn't cost u more than 30-50
Filter media/ carbon rings/balls live rocks or coral chips. Should cost about 50

You might want to think about getting a skimmer since u are experiencing nitrate issues..
If u are getting corals, then probably chiller
If u went a DSB in your sump then probably u might wanna get more sand
If you wanna run macro algae like cheato then u would need lights too..

I've ordered a tunze skimmer already but they currently no stock.. My cabinet too small for my spare tank so I intend to put it just behind my cabinet :( Also, is it possible not to go for an overflow? I've read about syphoning, is it possible to use this method to drain water to the sump instead? here's the link: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-syphon-without-getting-anything-in-y/ What are the benefits of an overflow?

Heard sometimes hangon overflow got problems and might result in flooding. Maybe can upgrade tank to a bigger one with sump

no money right now I'm still studying heh heh :cry2:

I used Aquaclear 110 as a "mini" sump before for 1.5 ft cube nano. It works quite well.

I put filter sock in the in let as mechanical filter
a 15x9x12cm mini deep sand bed
coral chips compartment
carbon bags
chaeto compartment

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

that's a cool idea! would the mini dsb be too heavy for a HOB? i scared later it just break and fall off

Heard sometimes hangon overflow got problems and might result in flooding. Maybe can upgrade tank to a bigger one with sump
Yup, if you are careless, it might! Upgrading is definitely a less headache way to go! If not, get a plug n play nano tank!

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Member

Sumps Are Great!..go for it..You can also get Fiber Glass/Plastic strong type as a sump..would save you tons ..as for the overflow..Why not Go IOS..Depends Where the tank is and is it drilled?..HOB Overflow is good too....get a skimmer..your 20PPM nitrate might be your Sponge..in Your HOB

Cheers

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Sumps Are Great!..go for it..You can also get Fiber Glass/Plastic strong type as a sump..would save you tons ..as for the overflow..Why not Go IOS..Depends Where the tank is and is it drilled?..HOB Overflow is good too....get a skimmer..your 20PPM nitrate might be your Sponge..in Your HOB

Cheers

Hi ashwin

Thanks for the advice :) I'll remove the sponges. My tank and cabinet are against the wall so I think I have some space for a sump behind.. My tank isn't drilled and I dont have a lot of $$ so I'm considering an DIY overflow.. Please advise

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Having a sump is better, when i had only the tank without sump, it was getting quiet messy with HOB Skimmers and Filters and Lights and hanging around, after upgrading to a tank with sump, now feel more comfortable.

Easy to change water and add supplements and maintenance is also easy.

Having a sump is better, when i had only the tank without sump, it was getting quiet messy with HOB Skimmers and Filters and Lights and hanging around, after upgrading to a tank with sump, now feel more comfortable. Easy to change water and add supplements and maintenance is also easy.
I see. Thanks for the reply! I'm currently working on a diy sump and overflow, lets hope it works :)