mandarin dragonet care

Mandarin dragonet is one of the most beautiful fishes in the ocean.the colors are bright and its just amazing to see them swim to hunt for pods.

i've been lucky to have one in my tankl that is healty and fat

to those u want to keep them you may find this an interesting read.

i would recommend that you have your tank set up at least 3-4 months before deciding to keep one and keep one mandarin per tank.

also introduce live rock as they contain pods which is their diet. keeping one madarin will keep the population of pods to be sustainable for it to survive. also try to feed it with brine shrimp.

good luck

Have you ever tried pairing the mandarins? I tried buying a male for my female and they jut started fighting. And now I have to put the female in my refugium with all the pods because I don't have another tank. Pod decimation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Just have to keep trying to train them. What works for me is to mix mysis and/or with repashy community plus powder and then let them hunt for the food in peace in a fish trap box. Even my orange spotted filefish is mysis trained in this way. For some reasons, they rejected the repashy in gel form. This is quite 'potent' stuff if you look at the ingredients...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

So far mine is relatively healthy in a 3 footer. Still not eating pellets but takes a little frozen mysis, which it just decided to try after a month. Been keeping it for 4 months.

• SRC Member

how do you train them to eat pellets bro? i tried putting frozen mysis shrimp in a bottle and place the bottle on sand bed. they didnt even enter the bottle. -_-"

I have to isolate them from the rest since they are slow eaters. I kept them in the fish trap box. You can put in a divider to section off an area and put in some cheato with pods. This is just for back up in case they reject the mysis and pellets so that they won't starve. Then I feed them frozen mysis mixed with nls small pellets and rasphery powder. They can take all the time they want to eat. Uneaten food will just fall through the holes in the fish trap to the DT.

Again, this is what works for me.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

previously mine was kept in a 1.5ft shallow tank, mine was lucky i guessed as there are many pods in my tank even though it was setup only for 1 month.

i saw Coral Farm selling mandarin dragonets in pairs in each individual containers, are they supposedly paired up already?

• 2 weeks later...