Flame's Driving Me Mad!!

• SRC Member

Hi Bro's...Recently went to TFC Saw this Amazing,bright,beautifull,elegant looking flame angel form Hawaii..its colours poison mee..from going there to get NLS Pellet to Looking at A Flame....at the end i forgot to buy food :thumbdown: ..Hahaha!...so my question to you guys are...safe to put in my reef? Damn itchy to get it..so damn cool!..pls advice..have read its a hit or miss..but possible?..Cheers,Happy reefing :superman:

post-23186-0-57417000-1395136820.jpeg

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Yup, certainly a hit or miss fish. That said, I have seen many tanks with great success introducing their flame angel. Be caution though, recently one of our reefer had a tough time catching his flame angel as it was nipping at hes corals. Finally managed to catch it, and i think he just sold it off in pasa malam! Great beauty, pity it was a coral nipper, or i would have got it too!

End of day...hit or miss. lol. Your call if its worth the risk bro, since its driving you mad! :thumbsup:

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Yes. It's one of my favorite fish. I've tried 4 of them. All not reef safe. Already given up for a reef tank. I will get one soon for my lion and japanese dragon moray tank.

me have keep flame 3 times and totally not reef safe especially on sps coral they like to nip encrusting monti polyp the most but never kill any sps until the end if keep it for long term just all sps without polyp only ... :P

• SRC Member

Thanks for all the response bro's..Looks like the Most of you Guys Had a bit of prob..hmm..better not..just wait for my 5ft fowlr..then/cheers! :)

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Mine has so far just nipping algae on the tank wall and the rocks (not sure what it eats from the rocks). I think (just my guess) when the things it currently eat is scarse it will try alternative (which is corals).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

i keep an SPS dominated tank and i have kept a flame for more than a year already. i got it as a juvi and at the start, i sometimes see it nipping some of my sps during the time my tank and corals were not doing well (STN) but shortly and eventually he behaved after i managed to get my tank stable and my SPS back to good health. i read somewhere that flame angels tend to nip on coral/SPS tissues that are not healthy and i tend to believe that due to my experience. by the way, my tank is 5 x 2 x 2 and i would say that my taking the risk of adding it to my tank paid off.

• SRC Member

Mine has so far just nipping algae on the tank wall and the rocks (not sure what it eats from the rocks). I think (just my guess) when the things it currently eat is scarse it will try alternative (which is corals).

i keep an SPS dominated tank and i have kept a flame for more than a year already. i got it as a juvi and at the start, i sometimes see it nipping some of my sps during the time my tank and corals were not doing well but shortly and eventually he behaved after i managed to get my tank stable and and my SPS back to good health. i read somewhere that flame angels tend to nip on SPS tissues that are not healthy and i tend to believe that due to my experience. by the way, my tank is 5 x 2 x 2 and i would say that my taking the risk of adding it to my tank paid off.

what if the tank is fed 3xcubes of mysis +3x NLS Pellets?..What if i empty my frag tank put a normal brown acro and normal zoas to try out?.

• SRC Member

what if the tank is fed 3xcubes of mysis +3x NLS Pellets?..What if i empty my frag tank put a normal brown acro and normal zoas to try out?.

Well fed fishes tend to pick on corals lesser if it has the tendency to do it. Even if you feed alot there is really no guarantee your flame would not peck at your corals, be it sps or lps. from experience, spses are generally safe with flame angels just expect lesser PE if your flame does start nipping on the spses. LPS is where it becomes 50/50. It becomes a downward spiral as the flame picks on it, the LPS recede, starts to die slowly and this will really attract not just your flame angel to finish it off.

For putting it in a frag tank, I shall say if it does not touch the acro or zoas, Murphys Law always knock on our tanks. the moment you put the fish inside, it could possibly have a liking for other corals. much like different corallivores have their favoured corals to munch on.

however reall up to you bro. less PE and own a beautiful flame angel or PE waving to you but no beautiful flame angel. :thumbsup:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

just to add to what bombom has said, it is natural for angels to nip on anything, rubble, rock, coral base, etc. even if they are fed very well they will still nip. what you suggested to do sounds like a good idea and may save you from difficulty of catching the flame in case it turns out to show a liking to your sps and zoas. good luck.

• SRC Member

Hope yours behaves bro..haha! :)

• SRC Member

just to add to what bombom has said, it is natural for angels to nip on anything, rubble, rock, coral base, etc. even if they are fed very well they will still nip. what you suggested to do sounds like a good idea and may save you from difficulty of catching the flame in case it turns out to show a liking to your sps and zoas. good luck.

ok Thanks bro..decided not too..maybe someday Haih :)

• SRC Member

Well fed fishes tend to pick on corals lesser if it has the tendency to do it. Even if you feed alot there is really no guarantee your flame would not peck at your corals, be it sps or lps. from experience, spses are generally safe with flame angels just expect lesser PE if your flame does start nipping on the spses. LPS is where it becomes 50/50. It becomes a downward spiral as the flame picks on it, the LPS recede, starts to die slowly and this will really attract not just your flame angel to finish it off.

For putting it in a frag tank, I shall say if it does not touch the acro or zoas, Murphys Law always knock on our tanks. the moment you put the fish inside, it could possibly have a liking for other corals. much like different corallivores have their favoured corals to munch on.

however reall up to you bro. less PE and own a beautiful flame angel or PE waving to you but no beautiful flame angel. :thumbsup:

Hi bro Thanks so much..i will not try..but maybe someday..

cheers,Ashwin!