Dosing Copper to clear ich

Hi,

I have added copper into my DT to save the surviving fishes. My LR should be dead by now. So take opportunity to re-scape and add on more cure rocks. already pass 1 week and seems like fishes are recovering. Also same time added the Jumbo Emperor from another reefer.

Question is when should I start to remove my copper or leave it as it is?

post-23415-0-15369100-1398227772_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Bro, fishes seem better is not a sign u have killed ich. If u have done copper for 4 weeks then u can remove the copper. Use carbon, polyfilter and many many water changes. What's ur intention in adding cured rocks? Any copper in the water will just kill the newly added cured LRs which could lead to ammonia spike if u added alot.

If u want to add corals again, it would take a few weeks to months of changing water and carbon to ensure the LR is not leeching copper back to the system.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Secondly, I just re-read that u just added the emperor. That means theres a possibility the new fish could introduce ich all over again. So pls keep copper in ur tank for a min 2-3 weeks. And keep out new LRs from ur tank.

Emp sensitive to lousy water parameters so keep an eye on it. And they dont take sudden changes esp copper lvls very well. The good boss at TFC taught me this. If u see the emperor having weird patches on the body, means theres something off with ur water.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

If you did not add new fish during treatment, you can start removing copper 2 to 3 weeks after the fishes are cleared of white spot.

If you add new fishes during treatment, the 2 to 3 weeks starts from the day you added the last new fish, provided prior to this all other fishes are already cleared of white spots.

Bro, fishes seem better is not a sign u have killed ich. If u have done copper for 4 weeks then u can remove the copper. Use carbon, polyfilter and many many water changes. What's ur intention in adding cured rocks? Any copper in the water will just kill the newly added cured LRs which could lead to ammonia spike if u added alot.

If u want to add corals again, it would take a few weeks to months of changing water and carbon to ensure the LR is not leeching copper back to the system.

Hi BomBom,

Thanks for the advise, actually, I add cured dead rocks the white rocks that I sun for weeks. And The Jumbo Emperor actually also come from another reefer who is also dosing copper into DT.

Next, I will follow your advise to slowly reduce the copper concentration....thks

If you did not add new fish during treatment, you can start removing copper 2 to 3 weeks after the fishes are cleared of white spot.

If you add new fishes during treatment, the 2 to 3 weeks starts from the day you added the last new fish, provided prior to this all other fishes are already cleared of white spots.

Hi Sunkist,

Thanks....

• 3 weeks later...