need help with Nano skimmer

Hi, I need advise with my Nano skimmer......

I am using a Dymax Nano skimmer (about 12" tall) with a Dymax AP 700. Relatively simple device that uses wooden air stone and air pump then bubbles collected at top.

But I just realised that when I started using approx 40 days ago, the air pump setting was at 50%.....any higher and the air bubbles overflow.

I have been adjusting the air pump almost weekly (due to itchy fingers) as recommended was to have bubbles approx 2" below cup.

Now I realised that I have already adjusted such that the air pump is already 100% and bubbles not really getting off.

1. I have used local brands like Big Boy, Attaman and now Dymax (all costing approx $10-$15). Could somebody advise me a more reliable air pump made for wooden air stones ?

2. And are there wooden air stones that lasts longer than 4 mths (each $8).....Mine will turn soft and big holes will appear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hey, I don't know if its the same thing but I used a dymax air driven skimmer too. I used a cheapo air pump with one of those 2 bucks sander wooden air stones it actually. What I found that you had to do was to give the skimmer a while to break in while monitoring the bubbles. Give it some time with small adjustments each time should help in my opinion.

• SRC Member

Bro, you might want to improvise your air input flow to your skimmer by using a L corner thingy right at the bend of the bottom. See picture one. Cos i find that the sharp turn at the bottom of my dymax skimmer is obstructing the flow of air to the skimmer.

You might also want to adjust the bubble level right up to the edge of the skimmer neck to max bubble-water contact time.

Lastly, if you only have one two fishes and not feeding any coral, there will not be much for the skimmer to skim...

yvejaju8.jpg

post-5037-14055526717084_thumb.jpg

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• 4 weeks later...

I used beetle air pump (tried 2 outlet model and single outlet model) both are able to skim well. It shocks me that single outlet skims better than dual outlet model despite dual outlet model having more litre/hr output. Consider changing the stone after 1-2 mths, depending on the damage on the stone. It helps to skim better.

• SRC Member

Yup used a air wood skimmer last time. The wood had to be replaced regularly. Also could be caused by other things. Last time I added carbon in and it couldn't skim anything for a week or two. After that it returned to normal

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• 2 weeks later...

Yup used a air wood skimmer last time. The wood had to be replaced regularly. Also could be caused by other things. Last time I added carbon in and it couldn't skim anything for a week or two. After that it returned to normal

Agree. the wood need to replaced often.

• 2 weeks later...