Anyone knows what is a denitrator?

• Sponsor

:lol: Hi patrick, FYI, denitrification is a process of removing nitrates using denitrying bacteria (eg, Pseudomonas denitrifans , Thiobacillus denitrifans). They convert these nitrates back to nitrogen gas but in an anaerobic (no oxygen) environment. The DSB serves to provide the environment. While people in the past do batch denitrification in big buckets, nowadays, it's all in a canister to keep oxygen out. The latest models like Deltec denitrators(available from us) uses sulphur to feed the bacteria. As a retailer, I must inform all that such gadgets need a little tinkling to get things right as misuse can lead to drastic consequences (like Hydrogen sulphide production) but otherwise denitrators can be rather useful option.

Pls see attached site

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...p?article_id=15

• SRC Member

Patrick,

I fully agreed with Eaquarist on denitrator.

I think the denitrator is not a must for successful reef keeping, its more like an expensive toy or feature that the set up looks comprehensive and high-tech, so to speak.

Most importantly is the balance of the bio load of your tank. The imput of netrient must not more than the output. Imput such as over feeding, uneaten food, fish and coral wastes, dead animals in the tank etc. are contributions to become netrient. DBS, Skimmer, LR, Refugium with caulerpa and denitrator (may be) are the netrient exporter from the tank.

I personal feel that wlth a good skimmer and fair amount of LR with controled feedings should be able to maintain successful reef.

In the recent years in the United States, reefers started adding refugium with caulerpa to export extra netrient from the tank in order to keep NO3 to undetectable level as well as minimise PO4, they have achieved great result and it seems this become a common trend for a lot of advanced reefers in the States and may be at home.

In 2001 to 2002 when I was fighting with Derbesia (hair algae) in my reef tank even I have started using the ETS Gemini 800 downdraft skimmer (which I ordered in 1998 and it's manufacturer claims ETS will blow the algae away), I almost resigned to the hobby.

As I surfed the net to seek advices how to eliminate hair algea, then I learnt and decided to convert my sump into a refugium. Two months after refugium kicked in, hair algea is gone and my NO3 level maintains at 0 by Sea Test low range test kit until now.

I am convinced that a refugium with caulerpa is wise investment for any reefer wanting to have stable and successful reef keeping.

My suggestion is to set up a refugium in addition to your main tank, which might be more cost effective in the long run compare to the denitrator.

The refugium will benefit your tank community greatly.

Cheers! :D

Chispon1

• SRC Member

chipson1, I could not disagree with you more:

"I think the denitrator is not a must for successful reef keeping, its more like an expensive toy or feature that the set up looks comprehensive and high-tech, so to speak."

Actually we do not need any equipment at all, including filters, all you need to do is to make water change every few hours! Expensive equipments such as denitrator is to ease our hobby's maintainance time. For example, an innovation of denitrator means that you will need less time for:

- Changing water (as it can be spread over a long period of wait)

- Wasting time of building a DSB (which can be unsightly)

- Closely monitoring the nitrate to ensure that it will not exceed to the dangerous level.

Comparing the size of a denitrator as well as the size of refugium to remove the same amount of nitrate.

Remember that what you invest is what you get(in most cases).