Stray current, stray voltage??

Hello everybody, I started my reef tank approximately 7 months back. whenever I have a cut on my fingers I feel a tingle sensation when I put it in the tank (mostly at the surface of the water, dissipates when I reach lower into the tank). The only plausible reason I could think of is the a/m. Any senior reefers out there got any input can help? Thanks!!

• SRC Member

Hello everybody, I started my reef tank approximately 7 months back. whenever I have a cut on my fingers I feel a tingle sensation when I put it in the tank (mostly at the surface of the water, dissipates when I reach lower into the tank). The only plausible reason I could think of is the a/m. Any senior reefers out there got any input can help? Thanks!!

it is normal. as our skin Can prevent a bit current, so the Cut will feel it.

But one thing for Sure some equipments is Electric leaking n not grounded. U Can use Electric test pen to test.

get that equipment grounded will solve the issue.

I always Cut my fingers when i touch my rock.scaping n sps. so Got many times abt ur experience.

update us when u solve it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

• SRC Member

Hello everyone!

This thread is to chronicle the work-in-progress of my new tank that is being setup right now in my home, to replace my 2 year plus marine reef tank below:

wholetank.jpg

My old 2nd-hand tank is 5.3ft L x 1.57ft W x 1.90ft H. Approx 117.5 Gallons or 445 liters excluding sump volume)

My new custom built tank will be 5.3ft L x 3ft W x 2ft H. Approx 224 gallons or 847 litres excluding sump volume!)

Turn off all equipments and on one by one test it. German power plug Got higher chances.

• SRC Member

I had that experience before... Just switch off all your equipment and switch it on one by one... Once you feel the current, isolate that equipment but continue testing the other equipment as well. This is due to the possibility that more than one equipment is leaking.

• SRC Member
I really hope so. I thought at first it was but the sting only happens at the surface of the water. As i go deeper the pain subsides
yes sounds like a wound case I get the tingling sensation aswell when initial dip but after submerged its fine.. To double check get a test pen.. To check if it lights up

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Pen doesnt light up but multimeter reads 10v. Wondering if thats normal since pumps too generate volts due to the magnetic propeller

bro. when u test it do get ur another hand touching wall, or take out ur shoes. need ur body grounded ao Can feel this minnor leakage.

if nothing. That would be good

• SRC Member

Use a finger (the one with no cut) to touch the surface of water. If you feel there is a "shock" (not tingling) sensation, it means stray current. Switch off the electrical equipment one at the time and touch the water. You may be able to find the source of leak. Good luck and be very careful.

• 4 weeks later...

Used to have similar issue. Tried touching 2 different tank and confirmed that current leakage. My fish was suffering and swimming like crazing, and like a blind fish. Tried switching various plug and realize it's my pump. Switch off the pump and things went normal.

Alternatively, it's also the top surface oil that is more painful to our wound.

• SRC Member

Ya was planning on getting that but im afraid that in the future if an equipment is really faulty and the voltage shot up, the probe will complete the circuit thus a possibility of killing all my life stock

I dont understand. Electric current will always travel the least resistant path, which is the earth/ ground that you are buying. So in theory, if there is a faulty equip, next thing is short circuit and there will be a power trip. Thats all, no fish will die de....

Hope my physic teacher did teach me the correct theory tho...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014