DIY overflow system

Melvin

• SRC Member

It's the normal PVC pipe used for plumbing. In Singapore it's white in color. Mine one is grey in color coz I got it from JB :D

As for the slot, if you want to have a very nice look, u will need to use a milling machine (that's what I did). Alternatively, u can try to saw it and then glue the reducer on the saw pvc pipe, still work although it might not look as nice.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I seriously need some help with my design. I copied dandelion's design but instead of drilling holes into the skimmer pipe, I cut a slot in the skimmer pipe just like the mouth of those public dustbin.

I faced the problem of not getting enough water into the skimmer pipe. I'm thinking of using Melvin's design of water flowing directly into the pipe without the need of cutting any slots or drilling holes. Now I would like to know how to get the siphon pipe centered to the skimmer pipe without using the reducer.

Please could someone reply... I know this thread is like a yr ago but I really need urgent advise now thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Bro, pls refer to my post in this forum - DIY Overflow Pipe.... cheers and have fun with your diy, do pm me if still in doubt....

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xfire clown/ 1xyellow boxer

1xpercular/ 1xcoral beauty

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

1xcoral beauty/ 2xfalse clowns

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

1xyellow tail damsel/ 2xcleaners

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

• SRC Member

thanks bro!..do you mind giving me the dimension for the pipe?..and the part with the holes in it where the water seeps in...did you drill it yourself or get it from your hardware shop over there?..both of my tanks are 2 feets,a main tank and a sump.. :D

• SRC Member

izzit possible to show the pics to a hardware shop and ask them for the parts or ask them to cut, join and glue it together? I wanna use it on my 2ft main tank and 2ft sump tank too but I'm a technical idiot :D

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
thanks bro!..do you mind giving me the dimension for the pipe?..and the part with the holes in it where the water seeps in...did you drill it yourself or get it from your hardware shop over there?..both of my tanks are 2 feets,a main tank and a sump.. :D

well really depends on the water flow u want to do ....

i did for all the main piping and inside i use 20 mm and outside i think it was 30mm ? (dad choose for me) lol this is for a 1500 lph pumps

i found if u want a larger water flow the inside pipe u cut shorter and it allows more water to flow through =)

is tis pipe workable?? :lol:

Not sure what's wrong with yours, but here some guide lines based on your pic. If out of the range, then it may not work.

Cheers!

post-9-1117638628.jpg

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• 10 months later...
:yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:

Hi bro Melvin..

how do U fastened the skimmer to the height U wan?

I'm thinking of changing the current skimmer design which I bought

from one of the reefers here..

currently using 3 screws to tighten the skimmer to the height required..

I'm woried it might rust leh...

thx in advance..

• 2 weeks later...

Thk bro,

Pls I have another question,

How about over-flow skimmer, what is the diameter.

For this 1 I plant to use with my new tank got it free from my friend.

Tank size 30’X18’X18’ and sump size 30’X15’X15”.