Nusicance Green Algae

Hi, i have a tank for almost a year now.....

i have 3 small clown fishes and 1 blue damsel in a 2ft tank

i have about 8kg of live rock and a 4-in sand bed

i have been battling green algae since......too long liao........

my nitrates are almost zero, ammonia and nitrites also almost zero

test kits i use are salifert so should be pretty acurate

i have tried almost everything but have failed to stop the green algae from growing......

i only feed once a day, nitrates,ammonia and nitrites are kept to a minimum, i on my lights for about 8hrs each day

i use a scrub to scrub the algae away but within like 3-4hrs, i see the green algae appearing on my tank wall again...... :(:(

i thought it was PO4 levels so i tesed it using a salifert kit and found it to be 0.1-0.2

or could it be my lights?? i using 2 15W FL tubes, 1 is atinic blue the other is the pink one from those freshwater shops....could it be the pinkish lights???

anyone any suggestions?? :pinch:

Hi,

U need to change the fl after 6 months of use. The pink light shud not be used. check ur water circulation. Test kits sometimes may give u wrong reading. Try using phosphate remover like seachem or jbl phosEX.

The above is just my opinion.

Bye

:bow:

• SRC Member
Looks like u have done what u shld do save for the light - take the advice and go for a light change. Do u use tap water to top up?

huh.. why change lights? .. In fact the longer and stronger the lights, the more algae will grow therefore bubble.

I had problems weeks before too. I saw the worst when I used MH lights.. I guess too strong and the algae really thrive on the lights but I cut down on feedings and used Rowaphos. Now algae on my sand bed is clearing and growing really really slower on the tank walls.. but the effect of rowaphos would take about 1 - 2 weeks.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Hi,

I have the same problem with green algae too. The irritating thing is that I am unable to remove the algae that grows on the glass walls with my magnet. Tried using a piece of sponge also no effect!! Thinking of using green pads. Will it scratch my tank or anyone has other alternatives?

Thanx.

• SRC Member
Hi,

I have the same problem with green algae too. The irritating thing is that I am unable to remove the algae that grows on the glass walls with my magnet. Tried using a piece of sponge also no effect!! Thinking of using green pads. Will it scratch my tank or anyone has other alternatives?

Thanx.

yeah.. its hard to clean because you left it there for too long.. Mine too had this problem.. thing is do not let it stay on the tank walls for too long or you will end up having to scrub very hard.

I guess you can use the green pads but only if your tank is glass..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

Hi,

A simpler method to clean the glass tank is to use an expired credit card (gold credit card will clean better he he) or of similar type. Switch off all water circulation, dip your hand with the plastic card and just clean the glass wall of ur tank.. oooops, make sure ur hand is clean and free of oil.

Here something worth reading to control algae.

http://www.saltwaterhobbyist.com/reference/algaecontrol.htm

Its nice with a wet hand he he.

:rolleyes::P:peace:

• SRC Member

Actually I tot those magnet cleaners have 2 sides? I rough and I smooth? ..

• SRC Member
Hi,

A simpler method to clean the glass tank is to use an expired credit card (gold credit card will clean better he he) ...

:lol: .. platinum and black credit cards are the ultimate..

• SRC Member
haha for hard to clean aglae juz use a blade to scrape off... it works really fast... a pen knife blade or a old razor blade wld do.....

dangerous.. blades would scratch glass.. better not..

• SRC Member
what is Rowaphos. and where to grt?? what form is it?/ thanks

Rowaphos is sorta like a filter media which absorbs phosphate and Silicate. Looks like those activated carbon.

Can get at Eaquanature or few LFS. Reborn also have them and have the smallest bottle too..

• SRC Member
what is Rowaphos. and where to grt?? what form is it?/ thanks

Since you dont know what is it.

Just to remind you don't be shock to see the price.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

Since you dont know what is it.

Just to remind you don't be shock to see the price.

:lol::lol:

sorry for taking so long to reply.......

to answer some of the questions posted back to me.......

Do you use tap water to top up??

Yes..i do, is there any other alternative?? hee...

yeah i guess it could be the tap water, but in the long run it seems there is not hing much we can do.......think will use rowaphos to combat this problem....

Next my pink lights.......

It seem to me that the pink lights dun really affect it...arcanehacker is using MH and its even worse according to him....

so can i conclude that it isnt my pink light??

Next rowaphos....

after hearing what u guys said..i went out to buy a packet.......

hope it works......and i will change all the sponge and carbon filter medium just to be safer......and add in rowaphos.........

hope it works........

will let u guys know the results.......hopefully soon......

:thanks::thanks:

oh yah...to MNCL

Does water circulation play a part??

i have to admit that my water circulation is not very effective......

only have the spray bar of my ehim canister spraying the water across the breath of the tank.......

is that a problem???

so maybe need to purchase a powerhead??

:erm::erm:

• SRC Member

yes, water circulation plays in a part in ur algae build up. Ususally, areas where algae build up are places where there are very little or no flow. U may like to improve on ur water circulation in ur tank.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member
yes, water circulation plays in a part in ur algae build up. Ususally, areas where algae build up are places where there are very little or no flow. U may like to improve on ur water circulation in ur tank.

hhmm...dun quite agree....my skimmer has lots of algae in it , my skimmer has high flow rate and yet it has LOTS of algae in it. :(

• SRC Member

hhmm...dun quite agree....my skimmer has lots of algae in it , my skimmer has high flow rate and yet it has LOTS of algae in it. :(

tats becoz skimmer is where ur nutrients is being "round up". ;) and if exposed to light will cause algae build up. My ex-weipro also had algae built up but not my present one coz its in the sump away frm lighting....only skimmate residue.

btw, whose skimmer do not have high flowrate :evil:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Hi,

Just to inform that the credit card thingy works!!! My tank is now very clear. Thought I had some water issues but finally found out that it's cos of the algae on the tank wall. Thanx to everyone for the advise.

Cheers.

• SRC Member

dangerous.. blades would scratch glass.. better not..

blades works well... not so easy to scratch hold it at an angle than juz pull thru... i have been using it my glass not scratched haha.... juz a suggestion....