SALTWATER HELP

• SRC Member

From my understanding, extended periods of mixing Red Sea salt mix will produce calcium precipitate... You might want to check out YouTube on this issue... I seem to recall seeing a video of it... And I also seem to recall the calcium although precipitated, only reduces 1% of the calcium...

Angel Keeper

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/128217-Angel-Keeper's-5-Feet-Mixed-Reef-Tank

• SRC Member

I strongly urge you not to use tap in your reef it will cause 99 problem and a clean tank without algae won't be one of them..tap water has dirt,rust nitrates silicates etc everything bad for a reef tank..as Angel Keeper has stated you must have mixed the water for a long time? Happen to me once.. They would still grow but actinic (blue) is associated with deep water so if you have deep water species they would do okay..if you have shallow water corals they would lose colour And suffer ..corals have stunning colors as a protection to UV Light I hope this helps Why get a balance of white and blue? My2cents :)

• Like 1

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member
I strongly urge you not to use tap in your reef it will cause 99 problem and a clean tank without algae won't be one of them..tap water has dirt,rust nitrates silicates etc everything bad for a reef tank..as Angel Keeper has stated you must have mixed the water for a long time? Happen to me once.. They would still grow but actinic (blue) is associated with deep water so if you have deep water species they would do okay..if you have shallow water corals they would lose colour And suffer ..corals have stunning colors as a protection to UV Light I hope this helps Why not get a balance of white and blue? My2cents :)

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Thanks for the help bros! Nope I don't mix for a long time!!! Jus have to add salt in and there will be white precipitate. Not sure what is the problem:( any way to solve this problem?

So is it okay for me to use distilled water from NTuc??

since you say it happens only when you add salt instantly it could be the salt..as long as no ill effects to your tank then should not be a prob but try not to get any precipitate into your tank..yes it's okay to use distilled water just FYI :) never use mineral water but use distilled..if you want I could pass you a uncles number he deliveres those 5gallon distilled water tubs more cheaper in the long run I guess..

• SRC Member

Btw bro ashwin, zoas, Xenia, candy cane and mushroom..R they shallow one? I'm planning to keep them

hmm I think should not be a prob but better to give them white light as well..they might lose colour and die..it's bit hard to say some are and are not..because they come from different parts of the world you see :)

• SRC Member

Pmed both

• 1 month later...

If u have to use tap water I suggest u place it in a pail n leave it overnight to let it settle before adding the sea salt. I do not have RODI and have tried using tap water several times when I don't have time to buy seawater n so far it's been ok. My tank mainly has LPS and some birdnests so those with more sensitive SPS might want to avoid doing it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Alkaline water might upset the PH stability of your tank. Afterall, PH indicates how acidic or alkaline water is.

Hi bro magical26 i shared same thoughts too. It may potential off balance the ph of the current salt mix's ph value. Why would any reefer wants to do that

• 1 month later...