MD55 magnet pump user

Anthony

• SRC Member

Its all depends on what type of skimmer that u r using, however, as I know that skimmer should be running on a dedicated pump in order to obtain best result of the skimmer.

I am running 2 55RLT Iwaki pump 1 for the ETS Gemini 800 downdraft skimmer the other for the return to my main tank.

Iwaki pump is so powerful not many skimmers can take the volumn. :whistle:whistle

Chipson1

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Anthony,

Have you tried the split yet? Does it work well for you? I agree with Chipson1 that most skimmer will require dedicated pump to work well. If you split it, the flow is not consistent.

Please let us know how well yours work out.

Best Regards,

Patrick

• SRC Member

if the specs written on the print is true, then the resun is negligibly less powerful than the iwaki. we are use 220v/50hz so the lower performance info applies to us (the pump print displays 2 sets of value for performance, the higher performance one is for countries using 60hz AC supply, i think)

used it, on my old 3 ft tank with 4 outputs..damn good. but not useful if splitting to feed a skimmer needing pressurised flow.

• SRC Member

From the info I gathered. The resun MD55 has the same flow rate as the Iwaki MD55 at about 4320L/hr. The Resun is rated at 8m height. So in term of spec, they are very similar. However, there seems to be a gap in the power consumption. The Iwaki MD55 is rated at 135w but the Resun MD55 is 170w. Does this account for the inefficiency of the clone pump?

I would personally use Resun MD55 for non-mission critical purpose, e.g. skimmer, but leave the mission critical task to iwaki. e.g. chiller, return pump.

Cheers,

Patrick

• SRC Member
The resun MD55 consumes 130/170W but since we're using 50Hz power then it consumes 130W, 170W is for 70Hz power supply.

Thanks. You mean 60Hz not 70Hz right? :)

So the two pump are identical then. BTW, anyone know about the heat dissipation? Are the two pump the same, or one generating more heat then the other?

Cheers,

Patrick

Right 60Hz, it was a typo :P

Never knew when you're stuck in the hotel you tend to type "6" as "7" lol.

Heat wise the resun MD55, you can put your hands on the pump body for 4-5 sec, after that if you can still tahan means your skin = very thick.

It is fan cool btw and pretty quiet for my standard.

I've no experience ($$$) on the iwaki so can't comment.

• SRC Member
Heat wise the resun MD55, you can put your hands on the pump body for 4-5 sec, after that if you can still tahan means your skin = very thick.

hahaha..

BTW, do you put a fan to cool the pump?

You know what, I did put my hand on the running iwaki pump at Sealife and I was able to stand for more than 10sec (if I recall correctly). Does this mean that I have very thick skin? :paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

I'm just worry that the money we save on a cheaper pump may very well be offset by the higher electricity cost on the monthly bill in running the chiller.

Any comments from the rest?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member
:shock: ur ETS Gemini 800 downdraft skimmer is a dual downdraft? :blink::blink::blink:

i intend to split into 2,

1 for my 4ft return flow

1 for my diy beckett skimmer.

This is my ETS Gemini 800 Dual Downdraft skimmer

post-9-1080536036.jpg