2.5ft Shallow SPS Garden

Firestarter

• SRC Member

Starting this thread to showcase my shallow SPS dominated tank, after much pestering from a few bros here.

Been in this hobby and forum since 2002, and finally ventured into the darkside of SPS. Spent countless amount of time, effort and money into this hobby and many different setups from FOWLR to soft corals to LPS and now SPS.

I've been a firm believer of cheap reefing so spending tons of money on fancy equipment, supplements and livestock just don't appeal to me. Call me a cheapskate but I like to keep my setups as simple as possible.

Tank specs:

Dimensions - 2.5ft (L) x 1ft (B ) x 24cm (H) inclusive of 0.5ft IOS

Lighting - 3 x Par38 LED 36W full spectrum + supplement by aquazonic clip on LED

Return pump - Ehiem 1000 compact

Wavemaker - Tunze 6015 + Sunsun JVP 1100 2000L/H

Skimmer - BM Nano QQ

Chiller - 200W Thermoelectric chiller

And now for a teaser pic:

post-13947-0-67361800-1420961463_thumb.j

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

The tank responsible for me getting into this addictive hobby in 2002.

Adrianli's FOWLR frogfish tank.

post-13947-0-48871300-1420962111_thumb.j

Not much of a picture but back then it was enough for me to convert from my planted setup.

Didn't know what I was getting myself into! Will never forget this tank.....

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

Bro, ur collection is oredi very impressive given ur tank size.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Bro, ur collection is oredi very impressive given ur tank size.

Thanks bro, my tank is really cramp. Some of the sps are only 1-2cm apart and I have to constantly reposition it back when the fishes knock into it, causing them to sting each other.

I will share my dosing and maintenance regime later if anyone is interested.

• SRC Member

Thanks bro, my tank is really cramp. Some of the sps are only 1-2cm apart and I have to constantly reposition it back when the fishes knock into it, causing them to sting each other.

I will share my dosing and maintenance regime later if anyone is interested.

I m interested, pls share.

• SRC Member

I m interested, pls share.

I'm currently on manual dosing.

I dose seachem advanced calcium and seachem reef carbonate.

For supplements I dose Grotech ABCM (15 drops of each bottle daily 1 hr interval)

Maintenance is fairly simple, daily topup of distilled water

10% weekly change and cleaning the skimmer cup once every few days.

• SRC Member

Very impressive and cost effective setup. I am using 3 units of par38 on my previous 2.5 feet mainly lps tank. I find Par38 to more than sufficient and a good coverage by using 90 degree leds

• SRC Member

Any thoughts of aqua scaping the tank with some rocks? Looks pretty bare with just sps. Like lfs.

Hi tofu, I previously used LR but due to the shallow depth of the tank the sps were pounded by the wavemakers and tissue were blown off.

I also prefer the garden look that was inspired by the sps tank in GO. Without rocks the tank is much cleaner and easier to maintain by sucking dirt from the bottom using a turkey baster.

• SRC Member

Very impressive and cost effective setup. I am using 3 units of par38 on my previous 2.5 feet mainly lps tank. I find Par38 to more than sufficient and a good coverage by using 90 degree leds

I'm planning to get a set of T5 to supplement the par38 as I find it not enough to light up the back. That will be the next equipment upgrade. Will also be collecting my RW 4 tomorrow to provide more flow.

Its your call bro! As long as u enjoy ur own tank, its all that matters. Glad to see another sps tank. Small tanks can be a challenge, but its what makes this hobby interesting. Good lark.

Are u using 2 part dosing for ca n alk?

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Its your call bro! As long as u enjoy ur own tank, its all that matters. Glad to see another sps tank. Small tanks can be a challenge, but its what makes this hobby interesting. Good lark.

Are u using 2 part dosing for ca n alk?

Yes, dosing 2 part using seachem advanced calcium and seachem reef carbonate.

Last night I tested my water and KH was 11, CAL 260!!

No wonder growth has slowed...will slowly boost cal up. Still alot to learn from the experts here. You have a great sps tank too.