I am a newbie. Need advice

cloud

hi all, i love marine tanks and have just set up my new 3 ft tank recently about 3 months ago. Actually have started about 1 year ago but its also not sucessfully and most of the fishes / corals die after few weeks to few months after i bought them. So was hoping to find out, what are the essential for keeping a marine tanks ? I got a Protein Skimmer, Filter system , no chiller yet. Thanks for any advice.

• SRC Member

Wat brand is your protein skimmer?and wat type of filteration system u used? chiller not neccessary if temp is rite. Many of us dun have chiller too :P

Did u chk your water parameters?PH,dKH,NO2,NO3,ammonia etc :D did you cycle your tank previously?

maybe post pix will help :P

Wat brand is your protein skimmer?and wat type of filteration system u used? chiller not neccessary if temp is rite. Many of us dun have chiller too :P

Did u chk your water parameters?PH,dKH,NO2,NO3,ammonia etc :D did you cycle your tank previously?

maybe post pix will help :P

Thanks for replying. Using Prizm skimmer. Ehiem Canister for filteration. The temp i meansured range from 27 to 29.4 C thus i am afraid that corals ight die due to the high temp. I checked the Ph, dKH, Ammonia. Did not check the nitrate yet. What does cycle tank mean ? Taking some pcis now. will post soon :)

• SRC Member
I checked the Ph, dKH, Ammonia. Did not check the nitrate yet. What does cycle tank mean ? Taking some pcis now. will post soon :)

so wat's the Ph readings etc?OK?

browse thru the web to find out cycle...it is very impt :yeah:

your lighting very bluish leh...y dun u use a more white lite B) you corals will survive longer...blue lights dun contribute to corals except it gives corals some colors :unsure:

as for your fish hor...i can only suspect high NO2...becos u din cycle your tank :fear:

your eheim canister filter...err...how powerful?

so wat's the Ph readings etc?OK?

browse thru the web to find out cycle...it is very impt :yeah:

your lighting very bluish leh...y dun u use a more white lite B) you corals will survive longer...blue lights dun contribute to corals except it gives corals some colors :unsure:

as for your fish hor...i can only suspect high NO2...becos u din cycle your tank :fear:

your eheim canister filter...err...how powerful?

the ph is 8.0 like that. The blue light is only taking pics. Using 1 marine white plus 1 marine blue and 2 normal pinkish 3 feets light. The digital camera dun goes well with white marine light, become extremely bright when i took it. How to get rid of N02 ? ( nitrile or nitrate ? my chemistrty not good :) )

Will read more on cycling tank

• SRC Member

I think your lights are not strong enough. Are you using PL (U-tube) or FL? At least I think you need 10000K white lights x3 and 1 actinic 03 Blue. No need pink. Also, some of your corals need very intense light...like your jewel and brach gonipora.

2 cts.

Also, please destroy your majano anemone (the tiny ones) or they will destroy your other corals.

I think (marine) therefore I am

I think your lights are not strong enough. Are you using PL (U-tube) or FL? At least I think you need 10000K white lights x3 and 1 actinic 03 Blue. No need pink. Also, some of your corals need very intense light...like your jewel and brach gonipora.

2 cts.

Also, please destroy your majano anemone (the tiny ones) or they will destroy your other corals.

How to tell if a tube is PL or FL ? which one is call brach gonipora ? so the tiny anemone is actually bad for the tank ? thanks for your advice. I am really a newbie at this :)

• SRC Member

FL is the normal type of fluorescent type like the ones in office. (with pins on both sides) and PL is the U-type with the pins on only one side. PL is better than FL for tanks. From your picture, I think the tiny anemones are majano. See if others agree. If yes, remove them. As for branch gonipora, it's the types that's like a branch with flowers polyps coming out.

FL is the normal type of fluorescent type like the ones in office. (with pins on both sides) and PL is the U-type with the pins on only one side. PL is better than FL for tanks. From your picture, I think the tiny anemones are majano. See if others agree. If yes, remove them. As for branch gonipora, it's the types that's like a branch with flowers polyps coming out.

I have 3 other normal normal green anemone for my clownfishes also. Is anemone bad for the tank ? My lights holder can only support those with 2 sides pins type though. Any brand of light tube to recommend ? :)

• SRC Member

IMO, anemones are quite troublesome because they move around and could stink other corals. Since your lighting hood is for FL, you can get the 10000K tubes from Arcadia or Coralife. They are the better ones, but may not be able to sustain some of your corals. Read up on lightings from other threads. There's been lots of discussion on this.

• SRC Member

Coralife FL lite is good lar...Zoo-Med also not bad...but adviseable to change to at least PL lite...wattage higher :D MH BEST!!!!!! :yeah::erm: u mentioned marine blue + marine white...u using Sera Lite har?

wat filter media u used in your canister?did u use polyfilter? :ph34r: u haven't tell us how powerful is your canister :blink:

as for Nitrite.....err....change water...i dunno how to reduced nitrite?maybe somone else can advice on this

IMO, anemones are quite troublesome because they move around and could stink other corals. Since your lighting hood is for FL, you can get the 10000K tubes from Arcadia or Coralife. They are the better ones, but may not be able to sustain some of your corals. Read up on lightings from other threads. There's been lots of discussion on this.

So lighting is actually very important then .Guess i neglected on this part. I just saw my tubes, they are zoo-med ones, bought them from Sea life at Balestier. One is Actinic , one is 7600K white i think. How much does a 2 ft tube 10000K cost from Arcadia or Coralife ?

Coralife FL lite is good lar...Zoo-Med also not bad...but adviseable to change to at least PL lite...wattage higher :D MH BEST!!!!!! :yeah::erm: u mentioned marine blue + marine white...u using Sera Lite har?

wat filter media u used in your canister?did u use polyfilter? :ph34r: u haven't tell us how powerful is your canister :blink:

as for Nitrite.....err....change water...i dunno how to reduced nitrite?maybe somone else can advice on this

think got Charcoal, lime chips ? polyfilter inside the canister. My GF is the one in charge of handling the filter so not 100% sure what's inside the canister. Model is Ehiem 2215. 7XX Litres/Hour i think. The current and flow for the filter does not seem strong though. i cannot feel much suction from it wheh i put my hand near there.

• SRC Member

Zoo-med ones from Sealife are also ok. But just one 7600K may not be enough. No point adding in more FL...doesn't help much. If you can, add in another couple of PL 10000K tubes. This would help a bit more.

• SRC Member

:huh: i thk hor...ur canister filter not strong enuf...only 3-4 turnover only at the most...turnover meaning the number of times the capacity of your filter as compared to your main tank volume :P

your lite seriously not enuf...u using 2ft FL only :( and only 1 7600K + 1 Actinic...y not add a PL lite hood as well....if u are afraid of heat...use fan lor :heh:

• SRC Member

IMO, I think everything in your tank is alright... if you have detectable nitrites, the LPS wun even extend their polyps...They are quite sensitive to water parameters.... you have quite nice extensions there so i think besides lights, your water chemistry should be ok...

For your tank and those corals, you need either 2x150w MH or 4 x 55w 10k PL...

2 cents

IMO, I think everything in your tank is alright... if you have detectable nitrites, the LPS wun even extend their polyps...They are quite sensitive to water parameters.... you have quite nice extensions there so i think besides lights, your water chemistry should be ok...

For your tank and those corals, you need either 2x150w MH or 4 x 55w 10k PL...

2 cents

Can i know if the PLlight set comes with the holder plus light tube or just the holder only ?

• SRC Member

Dodo, I think ur not right on this point, the corals use the blue light. The rest of the spectrum making white is used less and white is mostly for viewing pleasure.