Any good recommendation for MH light?

patrick123

• SRC Member

I have visited e-aquarise this weekend and they are selling a Taiwan/China made MH light. For 5ft with 2x150W MH and 4 tubes of blue light, it looks pretty slick. Forgot the brand.

Is the above good? Any recommendation for good quality (not branded) MH light?

My budget is around $1k.

Best Regards,

Patrick

• SRC Member
I have visited e-aquarise this weekend and they are selling a Taiwan/China made MH light.  For 5ft with 2x150W MH and 4 tubes of blue light, it looks pretty slick.  Forgot the brand.

Is the above good? Any recommendation for good quality (not branded) MH light?

My budget is around $1k.

Best Regards,

Patrick

Lighting is utmost important for your corals which depend on it for food. Light equals food, you need to get quality lights and you cannot tell the diff in quality by looking at it. China made MH may be cheap but I have not heard anything good about it's quality.

Don't stinge on lighting, I have used a taiwanese made brand called Macro, not too bad but cost as much if not more than Ushio and Iwasaki brand. Iwasaki gives a better PAR rating than Ushio, both are equally good MH that I will recommend.

You can use the china made hood but not the bulbs.

• SRC Member
Lighting is utmost important for your corals which depend on it for food. Light equals food, you need to get quality lights and you cannot tell the diff in quality by looking at it. China made MH may be cheap but I have not heard anything good about it's quality.

Don't stinge on lighting, I have used a taiwanese made brand called Macro, not too bad but cost as much if not more than Ushio and Iwasaki brand. Iwasaki gives a better PAR rating than Ushio, both are equally good MH that I will recommend.

You can use the china made hood but not the bulbs.

Marineman,

I agree that lighting is most important to coral. It is like food to human.

Having said that, a light is still a light.....unless you are comparing a 150w versus 250w.

Assume for a moment you are using the same made of MH bulb, does coral really care if you are using a branded casing to hold the MH bulb, or a DIY one?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member

bro, maybe u wan to check out the mh i using.... iwasaki bulb, diy hood and holder... my Reidi tank

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member
Assume for a moment you are using the same made of MH bulb, does coral really care if you are using a branded casing to hold the MH bulb, or a DIY one?

Thanks,

Patrick

I think you misunderstood me, I mean the bulbs not the casing for Iwasaki or Ushio. Casing is also important, if the hood's reflector is lousy, there is also an effect on the bulb's output.