2. Boyu Protein Skimmer WG-308

Media List

1. AZOO Active Filter 4 in 1

2. AquaPharm Pur-II

3. Rowa phos

4. Some Corals pieces

Water Source

Iwarna

Can I know whats else I need for this set up or just wait till the water is cycled ? Need advise from pros here. Thanks

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi, I am not a pro, but just giving some comments.

- What is the volume of the tank? Water turnover should be at least 10x while some even go up to 20x. You might want to consider a stronger powerhead, unless you intend to get a wavemaker in the future.

- You mentioned Coral pieces. It is not advisable to have any corals (or fish) in tank until cycle stage is over. So if you do have coral in, try to see if anyone can help host them first until your tank finish cycling

- You probably would need to get a Chiller or a Fan, to help keep water temperature down. Unless the tank is in a room that is always air-conditioned.

- Did you remember to use something (like market prawn) to kick start the cycle stage?

Hope this helps. Happy Reefing :)

• SRC Member

- What is the volume of the tank? Water turnover should be at least 10x while some even go up to 20x. You might want to consider a stronger powerhead, unless you intend to get a wavemaker in the future.

Volume not too sure. Its a 2 ft x 1ft x 1ft if not wrong.

For powerhead that's the max I can fit into the back of the IOS.

For Wavemaker any recommend for 2 ft tanks ?

- You mentioned Coral pieces. It is not advisable to have any corals (or fish) in tank until cycle stage is over. So if you do have coral in, try to see if anyone can help host them first until your tank finish cycling

The coral pieces think is those white hard dead corals to place in Media section.

- You probably would need to get a Chiller or a Fan, to help keep water temperature down. Unless the tank is in a room that is always air-conditioned.

Already bought a fan for 2 ft tanks but haven't use it till cycle complete.

- Did you remember to use something (like market prawn) to kick start the cycle stage?

So I need to place 1 pcs of the market prawn to kick start ?

When did I need to remove it ?

Any bacteria dose to recommend to use during cycling ?

• SRC Member

Volume not too sure. Its a 2 ft x 1ft x 1ft if not wrong.

For powerhead that's the max I can fit into the back of the IOS.

For Wavemaker any recommend for 2 ft tanks ?

The coral pieces think is those white hard dead corals to place in Media section.

Already bought a fan for 2 ft tanks but haven't use it till cycle complete.

So I need to place 1 pcs of the market prawn to kick start ?

When did I need to remove it ?

Any bacteria dose to recommend to use during cycling ?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Ur volume is 60 x 30 x 30 = 54000 = 54L approximate..10x turnover will b 540LPH

For wavemaker, u can consider small size 1 like jebao rw4, etc.. jebao wm do got many modes n setting to play with..

No livestock will b good during cycle phase..by putting a market prawn is to let it decompose n have ammonia..dosing bacteria will speed up the process..I recommend mb7..

For small tank, I recommend use chiller instead of fan..water parameter won't swing too much as not so much evaporation..

Cheers & happy reefing :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

help you highlight your answer. easier for other bros to read and advise accordingly.

1. Wavemaker - Can get Jebao RW-4

2. Instead of using those dead coral pieces in the media section, rather u remove it and add ceramic rings like biohome for more efficiency.

3. For the prawn, it is needed to introduce ammonia to your tank to start the cycle. However, it also depends greatly on the live rock in your tank. Since you got very little, adding the prawn would be helpful to build up the bacteria population. Add half a prawn, leave overnight, next day remove when you wake up. For your tank's volume should be enough.

4. Bacteria to dose - really up to you. Point (3) helps you build up the bacterial population by giving it food. Dosing bacteria is simply adding more of these bacteria. Some people say it helps, some people say waste money.

Things you need

1. ANN Test Kits (if you havent buy)

HTH.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

help you highlight your answer. easier for other bros to read and advise accordingly.

1. Wavemaker - Can get Jebao RW-4

2. Instead of using those dead coral pieces in the media section, rather u remove it and add ceramic rings like biohome for more efficiency.

3. For the prawn, it is needed to introduce ammonia to your tank to start the cycle. However, it also depends greatly on the live rock in your tank. Since you got very little, adding the prawn would be helpful to build up the bacteria population. Add half a prawn, leave overnight, next day remove when you wake up. For your tank's volume should be enough.

4. Bacteria to dose - really up to you. Point (3) helps you build up the bacterial population by giving it food. Dosing bacteria is simply adding more of these bacteria. Some people say it helps, some people say waste money.

Things you need

1. ANN Test Kits (if you havent buy)

HTH.

Thanks Centropyge Cunninglingus for helping me to highlight =D

1.Ok will look for Jebao RW-4

2.I already have the AZOO Active Filter 4 in 1 , do I still need biohome to have a successful set up ?

3. Ok noted. will cut a half market prawn into the tank tonight.

4. Ok will stay on without dosing any Bacteria dose.

5. I have a API Master Test Kit, will buy Salifert in the near future as I read up this is more better test kit recommend by you guys !

• SRC Member

Ur volume is 60 x 30 x 30 = 54000 = 54L approximate..10x turnover will b 540LPH

For wavemaker, u can consider small size 1 like jebao rw4, etc.. jebao wm do got many modes n setting to play with..

No livestock will b good during cycle phase..by putting a market prawn is to let it decompose n have ammonia..dosing bacteria will speed up the process..I recommend mb7..

For small tank, I recommend use chiller instead of fan..water parameter won't swing too much as not so much evaporation..

Cheers & happy reefing :)

Thanks for the info for the volume of this tank.

I will look for jebao rw4 soon.

For MB7 is it from brightwell aquatics microbacter7 ?

For FOWLR set up need chiller ? maybe will consider to add a anemone as I maybe keeping the normal clownfish.

• SRC Member

bro, you need to decide on the following:

Lighting - fish, LPS, SPS all require diff lighting needs

Mechanical filter - I dont see any in your tank yet, except the air stone protein skimmer which I guess is good for keeping one fish...

Bio filter - ?

Chemical filter - you have rowa for PO4, but what about NO3?

The reasons a lot of small tank failed are that they are restricted to the available space. Think of it this way, if you design your equipment for a two footer, you wont have any margin of error. however if you plan for a 4 footer requirements for you two footers, you will have (in theory) a 100% buffer for error.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

bro, you need to decide on the following:

Lighting - fish, LPS, SPS all require diff lighting needs

Mechanical filter - I dont see any in your tank yet, except the air stone protein skimmer which I guess is good for keeping one fish...

Bio filter - ?

Chemical filter - you have rowa for PO4, but what about NO3?

The reasons a lot of small tank failed are that they are restricted to the available space. Think of it this way, if you design your equipment for a two footer, you wont have any margin of error. however if you plan for a 4 footer requirements for you two footers, you will have (in theory) a 100% buffer for error.

If I keep clownfish with anemone what kind of lighting is recommend ? Beamswork Hi Lumen 60 is it enough ?

Should I add fish in first after cycled complete or anemone first ?

For Mechanical filter what else I need to add in ?

For Chemical filter - what is recommend for NO3?

Agreed to what you mention. hopefully i'm able to set up a successful set up.

• SRC Member

If I keep clownfish with anemone what kind of lighting is recommend ? Beamswork Hi Lumen 60 is it enough ?

Should I add fish in first after cycled complete or anemone first ?

For Mechanical filter what else I need to add in ?

For Chemical filter - what is recommend for NO3?

Agreed to what you mention. hopefully i'm able to set up a successful set up.

Lumen 60 is 60 watt? Buy the best light you can afford, else it is only wasting $. I know it cos I also started with normal LED, thinking of saving some $... but ultimately, you will realise that buying a good lightset is cheaper than buying replacement coral every week...

after cycled completed you can either add fish or anemone first also can... but they will just die... _-" go spend $5 buy a easy coral, put inside your tank, watch it for a few weeks, if it is doing well, then consider adding LS that you like.

Do you have any filter wool in your IOS? get a return pump at least 20X your tank volumn lah. your mechanical filter is also as good as the speed water pass through it.

For NO3, i run chemi pure AC

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Lumen 60 is 60 watt? Buy the best light you can afford, else it is only wasting $. I know it cos I also started with normal LED, thinking of saving some $... but ultimately, you will realise that buying a good lightset is cheaper than buying replacement coral every week...

after cycled completed you can either add fish or anemone first also can... but they will just die... _-" go spend $5 buy a easy coral, put inside your tank, watch it for a few weeks, if it is doing well, then consider adding LS that you like.

Do you have any filter wool in your IOS? get a return pump at least 20X your tank volumn lah. your mechanical filter is also as good as the speed water pass through it.

For NO3, i run chemi pure AC

Sorry for late reply due to the limited of number of post yesterday hahaha

Here's the link for the Lumen 60 light im looking at http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/product_info.php?products_id=4841

Any cheap coral to recommend ???

Yep I have filter wool in my first compartment which the water pass through first along with the skimmer. 2nd will be media last is the pump.

im currently using AquaPharm Pur-II is it good enough to control Ammonia and Nitrate ? http://www.aquapharmlabs.com/blog/?p=101

I agree with Andrew .. dun waste money ... For 2 ft tank I recommend maxspect razor 120w if is within ur budget .. if not is better to use 4 tubes T5ho .. U need time to build up the bacteria in ur tank .. add livestock slowly slowly .. diligently do ur water test and WC ... monitor as u add new livestock :)

• SRC Member

I agree with Andrew .. dun waste money ... For 2 ft tank I recommend maxspect razor 120w if is within ur budget .. if not is better to use 4 tubes T5ho .. U need time to build up the bacteria in ur tank .. add livestock slowly slowly .. diligently do ur water test and WC ... monitor as u add new livestock :)

I read up Maxspect razor 120w is very good for a 2ft tanks. will try to save some budget for this light.

Ok noted. will test and post the result here for advise.

Where u get ur 2ft ios tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Where u get ur 2ft ios tank?

Bro itchy to set up a nano ah? :yahoo:

• SRC Member

I read up Maxspect razor 120w is very good for a 2ft tanks. will try to save some budget for this light.

Ok noted. will test and post the result here for advise.

Bro, you can troll the pasar malam. cannot post but can contact the seller.

10K or 16K ur preference. just take note if u not hanging the lights, means u use the stand that comes with the razor.

see your tank thickness as it will add extra weight thus stress on the tank.

Good luck!

• SRC Member

Bro, you can troll the pasar malam. cannot post but can contact the seller.

10K or 16K ur preference. just take note if u not hanging the lights, means u use the stand that comes with the razor.

see your tank thickness as it will add extra weight thus stress on the tank.

Good luck!

Ok sure will keep a lookout for this light set in the pasar malam corner.

Meanwhile will just stay with current light till cycle complete.

I am also using a fan and the temperature drop from 31 degrees to 28 degrees. On cooler days, i get up to 26.5 degrees. I using the ikea timer to run the fan for 30 mins, off 1hr, and so on. It works and the temperature never drop much and will maybe increase the lifespan of your fan and decrease evaporation rate. I top up once every 4-5 days.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

• SRC Member

I am also using a fan and the temperature drop from 31 degrees to 28 degrees. On cooler days, i get up to 26.5 degrees. I using the ikea timer to run the fan for 30 mins, off 1hr, and so on. It works and the temperature never drop much and will maybe increase the lifespan of your fan and decrease evaporation rate. I top up once every 4-5 days.

Nice tips using the ikea timer.

• SRC Member

post-24712-0-61198900-1425710768_thumb.j

Hi all I got a reading of ammonia : 0 , nitrite : 0, nitrate : 10 to 20 ??

Does it mean my cycle complete once I'm able to bring down the nitrate?

So I shld do a water change to bring down the nitrate ? I top up the water with nsw which I left over from last time I bought ?