Newbie 2ft Set Up

• SRC Member

Once ammonia and nitrite is zero, nitrate high, likely ur cycle is complete. Can do a major water change to bring down nitrates :)

Ok will do it later .. will recomend use NSW from Iwarna or Salt Mix with distilled water ???

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

shy88devil, your tank's cycling process is almost coming to an end, just do a few more WC to even bring down the nitrate level and u r good to add livestock!

But bear in mind not to add too many at a time...when comes to marine, patience is the key! :)

Please "like" my FaceBook page - "Edquarium" (https://facebook.com/pages/Edquarium/350986588421491)

Thank you for your support :)

Logo-small_zpse0zttdgv.png

Ok will do it later .. will recomend use NSW from Iwarna or Salt Mix with distilled water ???

If you have the time, definitely mixing your own salt water using distilled water will be better. At least you are sure that this water will be clean and disease/pest free IMO

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Member

shy88devil, your tank's cycling process is almost coming to an end, just do a few more WC to even bring down the nitrate level and u r good to add livestock!

But bear in mind not to add too many at a time...when comes to marine, patience is the key! :)

Great ! so I need to wait till diatoms to be gone before I add in any live stocks right ?

will be intending to add 2 normal clownfish in fish in the tank. is it too much or maybe 1 will be better ?

• SRC Member

If you have the time, definitely mixing your own salt water using distilled water will be better. At least you are sure that this water will be clean and disease/pest free IMO

Noted .. will start doing salt mix soon .. any salt mix to recommend ?

• SRC Member

Great ! so I need to wait till diatoms to be gone before I add in any live stocks right ?

will be intending to add 2 normal clownfish in fish in the tank. is it too much or maybe 1 will be better ?

Well..diatoms are harmless to the fish..but since ur cycling process is at its tailend..just make sure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are perfect despite the presence of diatoms, you can start adding in your Nemos!

For clownfish, better to add 2 at the same time else if you add in separately, they may fight unless you only intend to keep only one or the size of the later addition Is much much bigger or smaller...

Please "like" my FaceBook page - "Edquarium" (https://facebook.com/pages/Edquarium/350986588421491)

• SRC Member

Well..diatoms are harmless to the fish..but since ur cycling process is at its tailend..just make sure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are perfect despite the presence of diatoms, you can start adding in your Nemos!

For clownfish, better to add 2 at the same time else if you add in separately, they may fight unless you only intend to keep only one or the size of the later addition Is much much bigger or smaller...

Noted .. will do some water change n see if the nitrate level will drop to 0 or 5 first.

Ok noted will buy two from the same tank when adding in. Is there need for them in a quarrentine tank which set up differently ?

• SRC Member

Noted .. will do some water change n see if the nitrate level will drop to 0 or 5 first.

Ok noted will buy two from the same tank when adding in. Is there need for them in a quarrentine tank which set up differently ?

Actually bro, quarantine them before putting them into DT is strongly advisable as there are a few advantages:-

1) Observe if they are feeding well

2) Observe if they are sick or suffer from infection/diseases such as flukes, ich, brooklynella etc and if they do have, quarantine tank is the place to treat them

3) Prevent DT from getting all the diseases etc..

Quarantine tank (QT) can be setup with very basic equipment...bare-bottom tank, sponge filter or HOB filter (no active carbon) and PVC pipes will suffice..

Something like that..

2014-12-07-21-11-29_deco_zps3a1ead4b.jpg

• SRC Member

get two extremely different sizes if possible. easier to pair. if not will squabble to see who gets to turn female when they reach sexual maturity.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

get two extremely different sizes if possible. easier to pair. if not will squabble to see who gets to turn female when they reach sexual maturity.

Yeah, bigger one will be the female

• SRC Member

Ok noted will keep a look out for 1 big 1 small haha

• SRC Member

Actually bro, quarantine them before putting them into DT is strongly advisable as there are a few advantages:-

1) Observe if they are feeding well

2) Observe if they are sick or suffer from infection/diseases such as flukes, ich, brooklynella etc and if they do have, quarantine tank is the place to treat them

3) Prevent DT from getting all the diseases etc..

Quarantine tank (QT) can be setup with very basic equipment...bare-bottom tank, sponge filter or HOB filter (no active carbon) and PVC pipes will suffice..

Something like that..

2014-12-07-21-11-29_deco_zps3a1ead4b.jpg

The water for Quarantine tank (QT) where do i use from ?? or i need to cycle a Quarantine tank (QT) too before adding live stock ?

The water for Quarantine tank (QT) where do i use from ?? or i need to cycle a Quarantine tank (QT) too before adding live stock ?

Best is to take from your main tank when you change water to start the cycling process in the QT, so that the parameters will be the same and will not shock the fishes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Best is to take from your main tank when you change water to start the cycling process in the QT, so that the parameters will be the same and will not shock the fishes .

Yes I used the water from my DT for my QT..i also seed my sponge in the DT and then put it in the QT so that there is already BB in it...

Bear in mind too that you also need to do WC for QT as well...

Btw, just to share with you the types of medication I am using during quarantining...

Medical%20Treatment_zpsz1h7nkrh.jpg

• SRC Member

Oh ok .. so i still need to cycle my DT tank till i get a lower nitrates first before i set up a QT.

• SRC Member

Yes I used the water from my DT for my QT..i also seed my sponge in the DT and then put it in the QT so that there is already BB in it...

Bear in mind too that you also need to do WC for QT as well...

Btw, just to share with you the types of medication I am using during quarantining...

Medical%20Treatment_zpsz1h7nkrh.jpg

Thanks bro for your info. Will buy this and dose it in the QT when cycling.

• SRC Member

shy88devil bro, advisable not to mix all these in the QT..and dose it after tank is cycled.

Once gotten the livestock, I did not dose the medication straight away..i monitor it for a few days..if it shows sign..den I will add the suitable medication..

For eg..when I first bot my humu picasso trigger, it kept scratching its gills against the pvc pipe..i suspected it could be flukes...den I added Eiho Parzi..after about 10 days..signs disappeared and back to normal behaviour..monitor for further observation..finally after a total of near 3 weeks den I put it in my DT

• SRC Member

shy88devil bro, advisable not to mix all these in the QT..and dose it after tank is cycled.

Once gotten the livestock, I did not dose the medication straight away..i monitor it for a few days..if it shows sign..den I will add the suitable medication..

For eg..when I first bot my humu picasso trigger, it kept scratching its gills against the pvc pipe..i suspected it could be flukes...den I added Eiho Parzi..after about 10 days..signs disappeared and back to normal behaviour..monitor for further observation..finally after a total of near 3 weeks den I put it in my DT

Oh ok noted for your advise.

• SRC Member

Hi all, I have added chaeto & caulerpa for the tank. Read up that it will help to reduce nitrates ?

Yes bro..will reduce nitrate and phosphate levels..

Did u place them in the tank or refugium? What type of caulerpa? Taxifolia, racemosa or prolifera?

• SRC Member

Yes bro..will reduce nitrate and phosphate levels..

Did u place them in the tank or refugium? What type of caulerpa? Taxifolia, racemosa or prolifera?

I place it in a external breeder tank. I not too sure, as I collected from a nice reefer here.

• SRC Member

Hi all , I read up that quite a number of reefer are using Brightwell Mircobacter7 and Reef biofuel for their tanks. Its it recommend for my tank ? I haven't dose anything in yet. Kindly advise Thanks =D