Newbie 2ft Set Up

Hi all , I read up that quite a number of reefer are using Brightwell Mircobacter7 and Reef biofuel for their tanks. Its it recommend for my tank ? I haven't dose anything in yet. Kindly advise Thanks =D

First u need to know if ur tank has a high no3 & po4 problem. Dosing these is to reduce the nutrient levels in ur tank thus making ur tank "cleaner".

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

First u need to know if ur tank has a high no3 & po4 problem. Dosing these is to reduce the nutrient levels in ur tank thus making ur tank "cleaner".

Currently I have a 10 to 20 reading from the API test kit .. will getting a salifert no3 & po4 test kit tonight to confirm. any place to recommend for the best price ?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

• SRC Member

Currently I have a 10 to 20 reading from the API test kit .. will getting a salifert no3 & po4 test kit tonight to confirm. any place to recommend for the best price ?

Salifert is much more accurate..

You can get from Aquamarine at Jln Selaseh..

Please "like" my FaceBook page - "Edquarium" (https://facebook.com/pages/Edquarium/350986588421491)

Thank you for your support :)

Logo-small_zpse0zttdgv.png

• SRC Member

For salifert test kit, when u read it from the side, it need to be divided by 10. From the picture it seems like you got 5ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opps never read the instructions properly hahaha.

Any tips to make it to 0 ???

No need to be zero as corals also need a little phosphate as their food source to grow. Maintaining it close to zero is gd enough. Running a fr is one of the ways.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• SRC Member

No need to be zero as corals also need a little phosphate as their food source to grow. Maintaining it close to zero is gd enough. Running a fr is one of the ways.

Oh ok noted for your advice ! =D

• SRC Member

Running a reactor can ensure its consistency but if can't have a reactor then dosing might just work but with more commitment.

Will look to invest a reactor in future. Dosing Reef biofuel can help to maintain No3 n Po4 ?

• SRC Member

I am trying Biofuel myself too. Not too sure how it works for me too. So far it seems like it is not giving the results for the past two days. First day dose the biofuel, I didn't off the skimmer. And tested nitrate still the same. 2nd day dose biofuel and off the skimmer for 4 hour but yet to see any improvement as today don't have the time to check nitrate.

As mentioned before I never test for phosphate as it is usually zero as supported by GFO.

Dosing biofuel & mb7 is not miracle drug. It's will take wks to maybe a mth or two to bring nitrates & phosphates down slowly even if u dose on a consistent basis.

• SRC Member

Dosing biofuel & mb7 is not miracle drug. It's will take wks to maybe a mth or two to bring nitrates & phosphates down slowly even if u dose on a consistent basis.

Ok noted. How much is recommended I need to dose for my tank as I maybe goin to fresh n marine to get it. Best need to off or leave the skimmer on ?

U can follow the instruction on the bottle label. For me, I dun off my skimmer.

• SRC Member

I use both bio pellet (a month already) and now biofuel, past 3 days didn't see any improvement, nitrate still hover at 10ppm. Guess a few more weeks of dosing is required. I have tried both off the skimmer and on the skimmer.

When I used biofuel last time, it took me ard 2 wks to see no3 starts dropping. Po4 is maintained by my fr at that time.

• SRC Member

New Update.

Equipment :

Skimmer: Upgrade to Skimz SH2.

1 x Jebao W25

Live stocks :

1 x Maroon Clownfish

2 x Domino Damsel

3 x turbo snails

Thanks to both Pro's reefer over here who pass their fishes to me. =D

Sorry for the poor pictures as the Maroon Clown is very active swimming around in the morning.

post-24712-0-31025300-1426472604_thumb.j

• SRC Member

When I used biofuel last time, it took me ard 2 wks to see no3 starts dropping. Po4 is maintained by my fr at that time.

Okay thanks for the feedback.

Will inform if I have any success in reducing my nitrate further.