New Hailea HS 66A Chiller causing electric shock

Hi all,

I recently bought a Hailea chiller. I hooked it up and noticed that I get electric shocks when I touch the aquarium water. When the chiller unplugged from power, no longer electric shock is happened so I am confident that the problem is in the chiller and not another piece of equipment in the tank.

The actual chiller functions correctly, in the sense of keeping the water at the desired temperature, but these electric shocks are a big problem.

Has anybody had this problem before?
Any suggestion to rectify this problem.

Many thanks.

Hi Bro, I am using a kind of universal travel adaptor since it come with china standard 3 pin plug. it cannot fit directly to my 5 way extension. May it be the reason? the chiller is not grounded.

• SRC Supporter

That's exactly the reason. Change the plug or find a proper adapter that contacts the ground pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Thanks bro. I will try to use 3 pin adaptor and test again. Many things again enlighten me.. I am such a nut in electrical knowledge ha ha

I was using a Hailea 1HP Chiller. The plug was a China 3 pin too. Hailea brand is from China, and that is normal, I feel, to have their plug. Most importantly, is you connect properly. The device produced by big brand will have normally have strong integrity in their goods.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey bros,

i have the exact same issue.. the exact same chiller and the exact same plug..

yes, i realized it was because it was not grounded.. i changed to so many adapters and configuration to find the best adapters with grounding.. but it didnt work

however, i got myself a grounding probe and ive never felt the electric shock..

however, there are days i remove the grounding probe to "test water" .. the problem seemed to have disappear.. so im not sure what happened,lol

or maybe there is still current in the tank but i cant measure it without a kit.. just that i dont get electric shocks anymore

• SRC Member

hey bros,

i have the exact same issue.. the exact same chiller and the exact same plug..

yes, i realized it was because it was not grounded.. i changed to so many adapters and configuration to find the best adapters with grounding.. but it didnt work

however, i got myself a grounding probe and ive never felt the electric shock..

however, there are days i remove the grounding probe to "test water" .. the problem seemed to have disappear.. so im not sure what happened,lol

or maybe there is still current in the tank but i cant measure it without a kit.. just that i dont get electric shocks anymore

where to get the grounding probe? noob to such stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...