Canister filter as a 'mini-sump'

• SRC Member

I think i read somewhere on using canister filter as filtration. but couldn't find it. Anyhow, pls bear with me.

I was thinking if its possible to put these media in the filter.

bottom -up

1. #1 sand

2. bio-ring

3. polyfilter

4. filter wool.

with in-between a piece of filter wool.

Will these work ? Wonder if a small piece of LR can go in... hmmm :look:

• SRC Member

*bio ring

*polyfilter

*filter floss

by using the last 2 means u have to service the canister more often.

Bio rings provide more surface area than LR or coral chips.

Another thing***do note that sand will find its way into the impeller & screw the canister up.or if your lucky it will find its way back to the tank.It will also impede the flow of water thru the canister if it does stay cause u r talking abt no.1 grains.

i guess u can try LR but why waste space? u r already limited within the canister for media space.

the working is the same as FW, either used as bacterial(biological),mechanical or chemical or with any combination.

Later u will need to keep track of nitrates. Nitrates is the end product & is the least toxic but high levels are still not tolerated by most marine life.

Fish can live in up to 100ppm of nitrates & still be happy but reports from public aquariums in the US show low survival(abt 50%)rate in 500ppm levels-tested on triggers.

Corals don't tolerate high levels for long periods.

• SRC Member
thanks bawater. i was thinking to use it to as a mini-mini-sump. so not sure if that will work. thats y the idea of the sand. but the problem is maintenance as u mentioned... hmmm let me try out let u guys know.... :D

Maybe you can try bagging the sand in a laundry bag first..

But won't the flowrate be too fast to be a sump?

2cts..

• SRC Member
Maybe you can try bagging the sand in a laundry bag first..

But won't the flowrate be too fast to be a sump?

2cts..

It will slow the flow rate for sure. Happen to me before.

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

I used to have a tank......tink 5yrs ago ...3ft with overflow.....the overflow is connected to a eheim wet/dry....tank fill with LR....kinda like berlin style....no chiller and just FL tubes....water parameters checked out fine.....PS run once in a while....but due to poor lightings & sometimes high temp....most corals died....only the anemone and the mushroom anemone flourished....they even split like siau!....but u've got to beare of the evaporation rate due to the wet/dry's rythemic movements the overflow section will also move up & down.....not bad a setup....but im using sump tank now...

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]