ich problem

Immanuel Tan

Last time I'm also like you! No chiller water temp about 31

But somehow fish color also don't look as good as others I have seen in LFS or reefers house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Last time I'm also like you! No chiller water temp about 31

But somehow fish color also don't look as good as others I have seen in LFS or reefers house.

I still not ready to try yet. When I am ready I will look for u for my 1st free poison.

• SRC Supporter

Perhaps keep the process going for a month (garlic & UV) for 2-4 wks after the ich goes away & start scaling back.

I understand that UV removes one of the elements - iron, hence it should be supplemented regularly if UV is used.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Perhaps keep the process going for a month (garlic & UV) for 2-4 wks after the ich goes away & start scaling back.

I understand that UV removes one of the elements - iron, hence it should be supplemented regularly if UV is used.

I have the dr G anti parasitic also. Typical Singaporean. Everything also must have. super KIASU. HAHA

• SRC Member

How many days to do water change? Even when their are cure. Do I still need the uv lights?

I would recommend bi-weekly 40-50% wc..larger wc is more effective for FOWLR..another point to note is for FO, SG at 1.015-1.016 will suffice..as for UV, u can decide to run or not after they r cured..some run their UV 247..cheers :)

• Like 1

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

I would recommend bi-weekly 40-50% wc..larger wc is more effective for FOWLR..another point to note is for FO, SG at 1.015-1.016 will suffice..as for UV, u can decide to run or not after they r cured..some run their UV 247..cheers :)

normally I change 20% every week.

but at this stage with ich attack. Izzit beta to change water every 2-3days? does it have any bad effect if I change water too frequently?

• SRC Member

normally I change 20% every week.

but at this stage with ich attack. Izzit beta to change water every 2-3days? does it have any bad effect if I change water too frequently?

Depend on you bro..I feel changing 40% & more is more effective in reducing parasites for FO setup..being more wc each time so no need so frequent..this depend on ur bioload too..cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

think mine is worst. this morning saw my YT covered in whites... now i cant even find its body. sighz... sec YT liao. sobz.

U wanna try soaking ur food with seachem garlic guard. And get a uv lamp and put it in your ios near to the pump intake.

I was so stress for almost 2 weeks. Cos the ich is getting from bad to worse maybe around 70-80 spots per fish. But after I use this 2 stuffs for 1 week, I don't see anymore spots on my fishes.

• SRC Member

U wanna try soaking ur food with seachem garlic guard. And get a uv lamp and put it in your ios near to the pump intake.

I was so stress for almost 2 weeks. Cos the ich is getting from bad to worse maybe around 70-80 spots per fish. But after I use this 2 stuffs for 1 week, I don't see anymore spots on my fishes.

thanks bro, i'm have been using guarlic guard but to no avail. will go get an UV lamp to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

So. I have been ravaged by the Ich as well. I added my first yellow tang in there last month and it was fine for abit, then developed white spots, and didnt eat still and i thought he was a goner. But 4-5weeks later, he is still here and fat and eating. But he is still randomly getting white spots for a few days and then it disappears back into the sand bed for the ich to continue it's cycle. But other than that, he is fine and eating everything and getting bigger, as with my algae blenny.

However, i added a smallish juvi emperor to my tank and it was eating from day one and was doing great for a week, till one day i woke up and it had white spots and was having trouble breathing. it died after 3 days after contracting ich. But my YT and all my other live stocks are fine. I made sure to get a healthy, eating emperor before attempting to add it in because i was confident it would tank the ich and be okay after.

So, here is my question. How do you guys deal with Ich? do you buy healthy new specimens and hope it can tank the ich before it dies? or let the tank fallow out and not add fish till the ich cycle is dead. But the problem with the latter is that, ich seems pretty hard to extricate entirely and it may come back to haunt me after 10 weeks of letting it lie empty.

This is very frustrating :/ but one of the things we have to deal with. So, what is the best way you guys deal with it? Looking forward to hearing from you bros!

• SRC Member

Hi all!

So. I have been ravaged by the Ich as well. I added my first yellow tang in there last month and it was fine for abit, then developed white spots, and didnt eat still and i thought he was a goner. But 4-5weeks later, he is still here and fat and eating. But he is still randomly getting white spots for a few days and then it disappears back into the sand bed for the ich to continue it's cycle. But other than that, he is fine and eating everything and getting bigger, as with my algae blenny.

However, i added a smallish juvi emperor to my tank and it was eating from day one and was doing great for a week, till one day i woke up and it had white spots and was having trouble breathing. it died after 3 days after contracting ich. But my YT and all my other live stocks are fine. I made sure to get a healthy, eating emperor before attempting to add it in because i was confident it would tank the ich and be okay after.

So, here is my question. How do you guys deal with Ich? do you buy healthy new specimens and hope it can tank the ich before it dies? or let the tank fallow out and not add fish till the ich cycle is dead. But the problem with the latter is that, ich seems pretty hard to extricate entirely and it may come back to haunt me after 10 weeks of letting it lie empty.

This is very frustrating :/ but one of the things we have to deal with. So, what is the best way you guys deal with it? Looking forward to hearing from you bros!

put a uv lamp in your main tank to kill most of the ich. but not all. this will greater decrease the ick in your tank.

for new fishes better u put in a separate tank for 1st few days to make sure its eating before u put into the main tank.. u can soak the food with garlic guard. it will boast up the immune to ich.

• SRC Supporter

Sometimes it just seems impossible to catch all the fishes out to leave it fallow (eg. goby hiding under the rocks).

In my case, I did the following for the display tank :

1) UV sterilizer. Running through at extremely slow flow rate to reduce parasites in the water column

2) Soak Mysis shrimp in Garlic Guard for at least 30 minutes. 2x a day. Theory : The parasites dislike the smell of garlic & won't cling on.

3) Lower salinity from 1.025 to 1.024 or even 1.023. I didn't reduce further as I had corals & invertebrates in there. But if its a fowler, I understand that its possible to lower it to 1.009 then hold it for 4 weeks to break the ich cycle.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

To reduce ich ,try :

1. Uv steriliser

2. Medicated fish food like Dr G 's parasitic or new life spectrum ich

3. Drop salinity to 1.021-1.022

4. Shorten the period for lights to give the fishes enough rest

5. If fishes are eating as per normal, just leave them and not to stress them

6. Use ozone

7. Reduce strength of wave maker

8. Frequent water change ?

Usually I will use these methods for newly added fish

Thanks for your replies all! I guess i'll look into getting a UV sterilizer. I have sps and other inverts in there so lowering the salinity too much might be a problem.

I will definitely try out the garlic as i've been reading a lot about it. Thanks guys!