Dead Rocks

After reading on curing and treating of live or dead rocks, will eventually do with dead rock on my next setup.

Just wanted to check with reefers if I bleach, add vinegar and dry on my dead rocks will the purple coralline still grow on it after sometime?

I do not intend to put any small frag of live rocks encrusted with coralline to jump start it. So how long it is going to take for this case if I let nature take it's course?

• SRC Member

My setup started with dead rocks. It took one month for full cycling. About 3mths before system really settles down for sps to grow. As for coralline algae, i only see specks after 3mths and more growing 4th mth onwards.

It seems you do not want the coralline alage in your tank by not introducing even small live rocks to jump start. Coralline aglae will be introduced when you add snails or sps frags. So jump start or not, they will eventually be there. Fast or slow depends on your system conditions.

2 cents from a recent newbie.

• SRC Member

My setup started with dead rocks. It took one month for full cycling. About 3mths before system really settles down for sps to grow. As for coralline algae, i only see specks after 3mths and more growing 4th mth onwards.

It seems you do not want the coralline alage in your tank by not introducing even small live rocks to jump start. Coralline aglae will be introduced when you add snails or sps frags. So jump start or not, they will eventually be there. Fast or slow depends on your system conditions.

2 cents from a recent newbie.

Hmmm, I thought for coraline algae to appear, it need a source for it to repopulate right (be it a rock or frags with coraline algae)?

I might be wrong, just thinking aloud.

• SRC Member

You are right, coralline algae needs a source. Its faster if we introduce a live rock with lots of ca but they will slowly appear if we start introducing coral frags or snails.

You are right, coralline algae needs a source. Its faster if we introduce a live rock with lots of ca but they will slowly appear if we start introducing coral frags or snails.

So if not introducting anything at all like snail or corals will coralline algae still grows on the dead rocks after few months? Love the purple coralline alage but doesn't like the unwanted stuff on the LR. Only doing a FOWLR.

• SRC Member

i can only think of those advertised coralline algae in a bottle (like purple up). Never tried it myself. Need those who have tried it to comment. You need to maintain CA and alkalinity for coralline to flourish though.

• SRC Member

i can only think of those advertised coralline algae in a bottle (like purple up). Never tried it myself. Need those who have tried it to comment. You need to maintain CA and alkalinity for coralline to flourish though.

if you scare of pest, ask a fellow reefer to pass you a empty plug encrust with coraline algae to jump start ?

It would work i guess