Is there a natural way to reduce phosphates?

hansolo

• SRC Member

Hi SRC,

From what I've gathered, people usually use some kind of pellet/rowaphos/etc in a fluidised reactor or liquid chemical extractors like goodbye phosphates. I'm wondering if there are any natural ways to reduce phosphates. Do beneficial bacteria in live rocks consume phosphates?

good well cycled tank, with lot of BB and min bioload and of cos controlled feeding as well...

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

Another method is remote deep sandbed. You can try Google for it.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

Deep sand bed is more for N03 reduction not p04.

If you are using a refugium to cultivate macroalgae, do note that it has to be very sizeable (probably equal or even exceeding your display tank) before you see a marked reduction in PO4 levels. This also depends on the number of fishes and inverts that you keep. The more they are, the bigger the refugium will have to be.

Agree with honkit - it really depends on how many fishes you have and how much you are feeding them. Also, it depends on your husbandry methods... If you are diligent and keep to tab your water changes at once per week, you can do away with very little GFO (assuming your stock level is within limit).. a couple of factors involved.. not really so straightforward...

For myself, I am running minimal GFO, but I do put liverocks into my sump for filtration and maintain a small list of nano gobies and 3 chromis in my two feet tank...

If you are using a refugium to cultivate macroalgae, do note that it has to be very sizeable (probably equal or even exceeding your display tank) before you see a marked reduction in PO4 levels. This also depends on the number of fishes and inverts that you keep. The more they are, the bigger the refugium will have to be.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

There is a post by bro Illumnae on the relationship of no3 and po4. Maybe you want to read up and if don't understand can post more question. Natural way to reduce po4 can be done but wouldn't be easy and like what macrovan mention it's not a very straight forward thing The link is here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Great read on the 106:16:1 ratio, interesting that the numbers are skewed such that phosphates 'require alot' of the other constituents to just have one unit removed. At least that's the way I understood the article.

I feed sparingly, perform weekly WC, but phosphates are still at a constant .25. Tested with API, btw didn't know it only reads 0 & .25, there's virtually no way to detect the ideal lvl of .03, unless the result is yellow...

am really contemplating trying goodbye phosphates!

• SRC Member

I run aquapharm sorb4 in tlf reactor ($25 2nd hand). Its always 0.00 on hanna checker. Sorb4 also not ex cos only need to use small amount to last like 2 months.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk