New NanoTank Set up

• SRC Member

Hi guys! How's reefing been so far? I just thought I'd put my wishlist here so that I won't forget what I'm targeting.

Here's the list:

- Tank bred Seahorse

- Marble Starfish

- Royal Gramma

- Branch Hammers

- Acroporas

- Long Tentacle Plate

That's it for now! What about the rest of you? What are ur targets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Not really haha. Just a modest 2 ft, about 80 litres only. I have a 3 ft (190 litres) lying around but must figure out how to position, DIY sump creation etc etc since I don't have a cabinet.

My biggest headache now is the damselfish that came with my live rock... he is bullying ALL the other inhabitants. I just witnessed him biting and dragging my fire shrimp from one end of the tank to the other.... :chair:

Need to remove him but I can't catch him!! Anyone got any ideas how to catch a damsel? He is super fast and skittish and my bottle fish trap failed to catch him too. :(

• SRC Member

This puts a whole new meaning to damsel in distress! Hope you find a way soon! For me I'd take the whole live rock he is hiding in out of the tank.

I researched on youtube and managed to trap him using the dumbest but most effective way ever...

I went out for dinner, waited till 10pm, which is when the office lights will be turned off...

Then i walked back into a pitch black office, quickly turned on all the lights as well as the tank lights. Grabbed my net and started knocking the rock like crazy. He got a scare and rushed out of the rock but because fish eyes take a much longer time to adjust to light changes, he was disoriented, swimming like he was drunk, bumping into coral and stuff, so it was quite easy to just scoop him up. Now I have thrown him into prison! (actually the quarantine tank)

DSC_1916_zpsv1li5l5d.jpg

Still, don't murder it! :) Keep everything alive and seek a new home if you want to get ride of it.

New Hobby lah - discovering...learning fast (or at least trying to learn fast)

• SRC Member

Nice tank u have.. Keep it up.. Nano and pico tank water volume is low.. So parameter will change alot.. So wc and evaporation is very impt.. Mine running on fan so evaporation rate is like 1.5l per day to keep temp at 26degree. So i diy an auto top off and get DI water from iwarna at $1.50 per pack every wk.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Very nice zoas! I'm also curious to try, but a bit worried about the toxin. Don't want to end up in hospital from careless handling. Think I'll go buy those arm length rubber gloves first

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hi all! It's been a while since I updated! Small tank la, can't put much. Haha. But since my last update there was a tragedy! *cue sad music* my beloved true perculas succumbed to sickness and died. :( how it happened was when I introduced a blue hippo tang to the gang. As you probably know by now, they are more susceptible to parasites as they have a thinner lining of mucus on them. Well, I had no idea how they were like so I happily added my first blue tang trying to re-enact a Finding Nemo scene as every newbie would. The inevitable happened and ich bloomed in my tank, had a field day and went on a rampage to kill every swimming thing in my tank, one at a time. First victim was the blue tang, then the royal gramma, and finally the pair of clowns. Sigh. But such is the lesson of hobbyist and I wasted no time to put together a quarantine tank to put future livestock in before allowing it into the display tank. I also decided I would allow the display tank to fallow for 6 weeks to make sure no other parasites had a chance to survive whichever stage they were in.

ab359337d6884cb333ea2561f72a302f.jpg

I used the chance to rescape my tank then, and I also did some goodwill by giving and selling cheaply some corals that were in here and could not really balance out the new scape I was going for. So the smaller goniopora and the Aussie Duncans are sold and given away, and 1 golden cloves as well. I have more space for more corals now! :) suggestions anybody?

• SRC Member

Haha @shy88devil thanks for the thumbs up! Here's another update of my tank after I sold the corals and replaced them with new corals!

https://vimeo.com/140443564

d98634b1086146abf9602e6be775cda0.jpg.

I got another new colony of zoas in exchange for my previous one as this one had a smaller profile it would fit in more. Also I bought a pink Duncan as I sold my previous one to @shy88devil!

70eb3105a666fa1e428224d6dded8bd2.jpg

Today I also bought my very first SPS! A stag horn!

9b1fe8f5178fb4a2d01072a5bc2cd19b.jpg

Finally, I also bought a Hector's goby to deal with my constant algae issues.

05ca32240643487a130526df2e314ba3.jpg

Happy Reefing Everyone!

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Thanks @tuajia! I don't consider myself having the skills like the pros haha. I think I just have 7 corals and that might be why it is easier to find space for it. Whenever it gets crowded I just sell off my old ones.