Colored Sand

• SRC Member

if purely for aesthetic purpose, then, trouble not troubles until troubles trouble you. :evil:

u may want to research the attributes of these black sand before embarking on the project. can u imagine got to segregate the coloured sand if no good for tank .... to much free time izzit ? joking lah :P

• SRC Member

Why not? :huh: you can use pink,red,white,marbles,river gravel...as long as it's inert and for aquarium use. Although i would stay away from the pink & red gravel as it seems to be coated.

If you want black- get the better grade that comes in 6kg & 10kg bags(black lava gravel),planted LFS should have them- not those cheap $2-$3 bags that have colored glass mixed in.

Using it solely just for the look of it is fine.

But if you want to layer it on top of a current mature sand bed......its going to get mixed up in time then you'll end up with white and what looks like black bits of left over road tar :P but if you don't mind that fusion look.

There's no harm.

Black also absorbs light & you will find the tank looks(to the human eye) a little dimmer.

• SRC Member
If you want black- get the better grade that comes in 6kg & 10kg bags(black lava gravel),planted LFS should have them- not those cheap $2-$3 bags that have colored glass mixed in.

Hi Bawater,

I actually called a few of the LFS owners regarding this matter. Henry(ML) specifically listed LAVA gravel as an absolute nono. He mentioned that it is fine with the river gravel though. In fact, i got many different answers from almost all of them. Creating quite a confusion. :lol:

Have you personally or any close friend that you know used the black lava gravel for extended periods without side effects? He must own a healthy reef of course :P

Thank you for taking time to answer.

• SRC Member

Hi Bawater,

I just read the article 'Are You Thinkin Of Setting Up A Marine Tank?, Just to get you started' written by you. I am glad you touched on the substrate issue . Clears alot of doubt really. :)

Think i will proceed with the project. Thanks again.

Warmest Regards,

Kevin

• SRC Member

yes i have used it but it was the sole substrate .(in your case its mixed). i used it for a seahorse tank so it wasn't for a DSB or anything- just looks. It ran for 2yrs.

The bad thing is that the grain is sharp, if you have sand sifting fishes then it may damaged their mouths.

For reef usage i have only used riversand(quartz sand), beach sand(silicate) and the normal coral sand grade 0 & 1.

i have to state that there is a cheap version of it which is a mix of other materials...that one i never tried.

Dun like the look of the yellow glass and some greyish grains in it.

• SRC Member

Hi Bawater,

thanks. I went on to buy a pack of black sand! Bought the most expensive pack with assuring words like '100% natural'and 'from streams' printed on packing. Sometimes i think i am suckered for my ignorance. :D But hey.. can't risk it right?

Thank you again. Will post pics of my nano very soon.

• SRC Member
Hi Bawater,

thanks. I went on to buy a pack of black sand! Bought the most expensive pack with assuring words like '100% natural'and 'from streams' printed on packing. Sometimes i think i am suckered for my ignorance. :D But hey.. can't risk it right?

Thank you again. Will post pics of my nano very soon.

hey do keep us posted of your new project.. :)