The Not-very honest lfs

• SRC Member

My colleague went to Pasir Ris farm this afternoon hoping to replenish some new fishes, which he did lah.... But later realised kenna cheated... The lfs he visited was IW*** farm, which was being looked after by some Burmese assistants... The fact was that the ppl there told him that it was a Yellow Tang, but it turned out to be a Yellow Angel... ok, i noe my colleague shld have done more studies.... But i still think the marketing antics are NOT right somewhere.... They shld have advise accurately to new begginers and not cheating them by giving inaccurate infos... How to patronise them again when signs of dis-honesty shows like that.....

• SRC Member

I saw that fish last sunday! LOL

It was a sick fish in a container basket. I was shocked too see such state and they are selling expensively. This shop sells very expensive although so many marine lfs surrounding it. I bought there once but will never buy there anymore as their bad service and lousy knowledge.

• SRC Member

fellow reefers,

just to highlight on this matter. NO, they dont intend to cheat.

the main problem is THEY DONT KNOW what is that.

you can try testing their knowledge.they may give you a joke rather than an answer.standard lah, business hor!!! :lol:

hi,

tinkthe ff with burmese assistants is not iwana..

iwana is the whole stretch on the left wen entering from the gate..

on the right is the shop with burmese assistants.. forgot the name..

straight in is victor's place selling marine.. tink his dad owns iwana..

cheers.

• SRC Member

yes.. I dun believe they are cheats or anything like that... its more of unknowlegable. Most of them do not know the names of their LSs. Anything similar is given the same name..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

fellow reefers,

just to highlight on this matter. NO, they dont intend to cheat.

the main problem is THEY DONT KNOW what is that.

you can try testing their knowledge.they may give you a joke rather than an answer.standard lah, business hor!!! :lol:

Yah loh, in fact, if you go there on Saturday morning, you will see some LFS owners going there to buy from them. So I will usually go during that time hoping to get better bargain. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I was also cheated yesterday at a farm in LCK 2**.

One of the assistant insist that his finger coral is pumping xenia..... I told him it is not....... but he told me that he confirm is pumping xenia..... just that I did not see carefully and told me it not open up yet.(it was very dark then)

since he say until so certain.... I bought it ........ but when I go home, I found that the coral is 100% not pumping xenia.......

:D:D:D

2 weks ago, I went to the LFS opposite Farmmart the one with the "Our Fish are Quaratined" sign. I saw a anemone and was casually asking the guy what is it and guess what he reply?????

"Alo Vera"

Sometimes just got to take what they say with a pinch of salt.

B)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

i got a better one.... i wanted to buy a crocea as a bdae gift to my fren which was 2*. last time tt price can get. den he showed me a "nicer clam" at said it was 20 also. all clam same.dats wad he said. but it was a maxima..... nex time i come the boss said max 4* :lol::lol::lol: luck fren of mine <_<

did your friend get the pacific yellow tang or the hawaii ones? the pacific ones belongs to the acanthurus genus...a little like angel fish in body shape....got a pic to verify?

• SRC Member
I call the shark egg as a mango seed. :lol:

shark egg? woah, u mean there ARE LFS selling them?

It's more avocado than mango... but then again, with those LFS bengs. I think they dunno what is avocado also... haha...

• SRC Member
My colleague went to Pasir Ris farm this afternoon hoping to replenish some new fishes, which he did lah.... But later realised kenna cheated... The lfs he visited was IW*** farm, which was being looked after by some Burmese assistants... The fact was that the ppl there told him that it was a Yellow Tang, but it turned out to be a Yellow Angel... ok, i noe my colleague shld have done more studies.... But i still think the marketing antics are NOT right somewhere.... They shld have advise accurately to new begginers and not cheating them by giving inaccurate infos... How to patronise them again when signs of dis-honesty shows like that.....

oh that shop......hehe, the only time I went there to shop for corals is weekends when the daughter is around.......nice figure...... ;)

• SRC Member

Hi kopee,

who is the one that serve yr friend when he is there. The Burmese assistants?? If so, how can you blame them. They come here to earn a living & I believe they only know packing.

If yr friend dunno how to diff a tang or an angel, I dun think u should expect those burmese to know. I think they even have difficulty speaking english.

I dun think you expect the burmese worker to tell yr friend," This is a Zebrasoma Flavescens, Yellow Tang & this is Centropyge Falvissimus, Lemon-peel Angel." If they can do that, they won't be working there liao.:evil: If they can diff Tang & angel very good liao.

Besides, whats the farm name????

my 2cents.

Wei :lol:

The onus is on the buyer to be educated enough to know what he's buying and if its suitable for his tank/his husbandry skills.

If a customer bought a Blue Ring Octopus when the shop assistants (esp. if they are not well educated) say its just an ordinary octopus... and something bad happens... who is to blame? I say the customer.

We all know to take LFS advice with a pinch of salt. Mistakes like this shouldn't happen but it could be an honest mistake. So it all boils down to the customer.

A smart customer will be able to ID a BRO immediately and inform the LFS of the mistake and to take immediate caution when handling.

Ignorance and cheating are two different worlds apart. Do be careful of your choice of words in future.... ;)

The onus is on the buyer to be educated enough to know what he's buying and if its suitable for his tank/his husbandry skills.

If a customer bought a Blue Ring Octopus when the shop assistants (esp. if they are not well educated) say its just an ordinary octopus... and something bad happens... who is to blame? I say the customer.

We all know to take LFS advice with a pinch of salt. Mistakes like this shouldn't happen but it could be an honest mistake. So it all boils down to the customer.

A smart customer will be able to ID a BRO immediately and inform the LFS of the mistake and to take immediate caution when handling.

Ignorance and cheating are two different worlds apart. Do be careful of your choice of words in future.... ;)

boi i do ready up on BRO before buying.. or else :sick::sick::sick:

I feel one should do research and plan on what ls they want to buy before visiting the lfs. The first mistake is to buy ls on impulse, even you like the fish very much, go home do research and plan another trip to the lfs another time. Do not be afraid to bring along the picture of the fish you want to buy. Fish are plenty and they come in weekly esp if the demands are good. Buy only the fish you have planned to buy.

No hard feeling to your friend, but it is a lesson we learnt as beginner.