Plusing Xenia

edmund_23

• SRC Member

I have a frag of Plusing Xenia for 1.5mth. At 1st it was plusing. But recently it stop plusing? Any ideas why? The flow not strong, water parameter all within except the KH abit high. Temp kept at around 26-27degree. Nitrate near zero. If it stop plusing with it pluse again if i solve the problem? Thanks in advance.

No body know why xenia pulses or stopped pulsing. One thing many suspect could b the flow and light. Also xenia got this sudden death also.

As long as they are looking OK, just leave it. It might start pulsing again after something

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

• SRC Member

Mine was pulsing too, then it suddenly stopped. Polyps were fully extended but looked like they were being blasted with the laminar current. So I moved it to a slightly lower flow area & it's pulsing again :)

Oh well, but they are really a mystery why they sometimes stop pulsing.

btw I believe Xenia doesn't mind abit of nitrates. 0 nitrates might be relatively low to keep it happy

Can goggle why xenia pulses and you will get many answer but all are relatively right

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

• SRC Member
No body know why xenia pulses or stopped pulsing. One thing many suspect could b the flow and light. Also xenia got this sudden death also.

As long as they are looking OK, just leave it. It might start pulsing again after something

If its light issue then i have.. Coz mine is not full spectrum and only 16w.. Waiting for my custom par38 to come then see the effect..

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
I bought a frag many months ago and was pulsing in seller video. Brought it home and it didn't pulse. Recently then started. Not sure why also.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Mine different case. Bought it and it start plusing the next day. But after 1mth it stop plusing.. Everything same nv change.

• SRC Member
Mine was pulsing too, then it suddenly stopped. Polyps were fully extended but looked like they were being blasted with the laminar current. So I moved it to a slightly lower flow area & it's pulsing again

Oh well, but they are really a mystery why they sometimes stop pulsing.

btw I believe Xenia doesn't mind abit of nitrates. 0 nitrates might be relatively low to keep it happy

Mine i really cant find a really super low flow area.. The flow more to low-mid flow.. But when my blue tang go crazy keep zoom up and down then the flow seem high.. Fyi, mine is a 40x40x40 tank. Nitrate should have just quite low..

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I have a similar problem as you. My xenia didn't pulse for one month even though it was in a low flow area, so out of irritation I put it near a higher flow area so that at least it would sway gently and look nice. Then it started pulsing slowly just yesterday, out of nowhere. I don't understand it at all ahhahah

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

That's great to know... Mine have stopped pulsing since I started running skimmer 

looks absolutely terrible now as its pulsing tentacles are thin & the feather-like structure on each tentacle have collapsed :(

have moved it up to higher light, down to lower light, high & low flow, but no improvement..

When researching some talk about iodine, but I'm so not keen to play around with that. Maybe it's really trace elements deficiency, but the irony is how can a species so hardy be so dependent on trace elements to thrive? Ironic eh? Oh well.. Xenia stumps me

• SRC Member

I understand your pain. My xenia got knocked over this morning by my damsel. After standing it up, it opened up again but stopped pulsing AGAIN. Hahahha I dunno whether to laugh or cry. But so far to my observation, as long they sway around and are at mid tank level, they should do well, regardless of pulsing.

Maybe I ask how u guy glue the xenia onto the frag plug? I try many time but always drop out

... never try never know ....

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

• SRC Member

I understand your pain. My xenia got knocked over this morning by my damsel. After standing it up, it opened up again but stopped pulsing AGAIN. Hahahha I dunno whether to laugh or cry. But so far to my observation, as long they sway around and are at mid tank level, they should do well, regardless of pulsing.

hahah I think it stressed lah, kenna knocked over.. Hopefully it starts pulsing again!

• SRC Member

Maybe I ask how u guy glue the xenia onto the frag plug? I try many time but always drop out

... never try never know ....

I have never tried glue before but I've heard that it's difficult cos they slime a lot. What I have had success with is to tie the frag down using cotton thread, not too tight until the flesh is pinched but tight enough to stop it from coming loose due to the current. It will attach itself on the surface after awhile. Mine took 1-2 wks to affix before I cut off the thread.

some pple also use rubber band, netting, stocking, etc & let the frag attach itself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just happen to see this thread. Something I found out. I try after waterchange, they pulse more. What I guess is the water parameter affects them. 

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• 3 months later...