Ryan-Kee's very first 2ft Reef Tank

Ryan-Kee

• SRC Member

hi bro, i would advice you to be careful with your goniopora... its known to harder to keep... and with the life rock, its best to use fake rock like the ones from carib sea. as for me, coraline algae will come when ur tank mature

another tip is to avoid damsel fish, they can look nice when they are small and are hardy, but when the get big, they can get very territorial.

as for your filtration, try using marine pure blocks, they provide alot of surface area for biological filtration

happy reefing^_^

Hi Ryan, congrats on your new tank.. I have been using the hydra for sometime already.. Honestly, you still need a skimmer.. The hydra for me doesn't really make a different as I have done various test using it for a couple of months and off it for a couple of months.. You are still in the starting stage, I would advise you to cycle your tank properly before any major life stock.. This will last a long time.. If not half the time you battle problem and no time to enjoy it..

185 Gallons - 5ft tank since nov 2013

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

• SRC Member

Hi Ryan, congrats on your new tank.. I have been using the hydra for sometime already.. Honestly, you still need a skimmer.. The hydra for me doesn't really make a different as I have done various test using it for a couple of months and off it for a couple of months.. You are still in the starting stage, I would advise you to cycle your tank properly before any major life stock.. This will last a long time.. If not half the time you battle problem and no time to enjoy it..

Hi blackcell , kind to share the review of using hydra ?

• Like 1

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

Hi blackcell , kind to share the review of using hydra ?

Hi, sorry to hijacking this post..

Just to answer this hydra post..

the hydra since its launch.. Has very few reviews or maybe what is does for marine keeping.. when my tanker maker added this in my system, I did abit of research on my own, play with it and did my own water perimeter together with water changes etc.. Nothing change much.. Did it make my water quality better, I highly doubt it.. It's work like a Ionizers like the ones that people use to purify water or alkaline water to a certain stages.. A cost of a hydra, depending on size can cost hundred, comparing a ionizers machine that cost a few thousands.. There is a big reason why it cost few thousands and changeable Platinum-titanium electrolysis plate & ion membrane.. The technology is claim by Qian hu R&D team under their own brand oceanfree branding and patented for international market. Which I feel, for marketing purpose to promote their ION product has very little indept on how the it's really works.. I have seen the product use largely at Qian Hu site without using skimmers for their large marine tank.. Plus they have been testing hydra on the smaller marine tanks.. You can actually see the result there.. The funny part, is that the sales people swear by just using hydra, they say you no need the skimmer or any nonsense filter system to run marine tank.. It's was a complete shock to me.. Anyway, if you have too much money and okay with trying it out.. Please waste it.. I just hate it when people with so little experience on marine keeping can claim this..

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys! It's been a long time, almost 3.5 months since I first added liverocks and water... have been really busy with work and other stuffs. Haha, meanwhile not much has been happening in my tank and its very EMPTY lol. I decided to let my tank mature first before adding more as I had 3 corals dead through brown jelly... no point wasting anymore precious life haha. Any idea what causes brown jelly?

To control my algae, I've added algae benny and this guy is more hardworking than any of my CUCs. This guy has got character and is my fav fish! Things have also started stabilizing around the 3 months mark. Readings are NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 10, KH 7.8, CA 500 (abit on high side). Thanks for reading ^^

Equipments

• Added a BM QQ skimmer that one of the kind bros here lend to me. It's really difficult to get any skimmate with the Hydra and my low bioload, however I feel it has its benefits as it does help in oxygenating the water.
  • Removed all the bioballs and biofoam from my system. Not sure if related but I found that nitrate levels has stabilized.
  • Change a T5 actinic blue into ATI Purple+. I love the colour and brightness, absolutely worth every cent.

Corals

Not much new addition here but some bros can't stand seeing how empty it is and gave me blasto, leather and hammer... a big thank you to the guys here for their big heart! 

20160124_7375.thumb.jpg.04799e29ff43a58c

20160124_7380.thumb.jpg.d9e0a296e7ec29aa

• SRC Supporter

Brown jelly? I read that its bad bacteria infection usually caused by trauma & non-ideal water conditions. And its contagious.

If i get that, i'll try to rinse off the brown jelly or cut out infected parts immediately.

Good to hear your tank is nice & stable now.  As i always say...plenty of room for more corals :)

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Brown jelly? I read that its bad bacteria infection usually caused by trauma & non-ideal water conditions. And its contagious.

If i get that, i'll try to rinse off the brown jelly or cut out infected parts immediately.

Good to hear your tank is nice & stable now.  As i always say...plenty of room for more corals :)

Thanks so much for advise bro! Yes it is very weird that it is only in a selected zone and affects any hammer/torch/frogspawn that I've placed there. It's literally a deathzone lol. 

Haha yes there's plenty of room for more corals and colours! :lol: