Pod Cultivation

Lenny

• SRC Member

Hi peeps!

in your experience, how long does it take for you guys to start seeing pods in the refugium?

Let's say you setup a separate tank and seeded it and the live rock that was put in had no pods to begin with. 
The tank does not contain fish. So it's purely for pod cultivation.

Thanks in advance.

• SRC Member

From my experience, I didn't purposely go out to cultivate it. I just bought some chaeto and housed it in an external breeder box. After a few days I started to see one or two amphipods. After one month, it exploded into a swarm of pods, maybe almost 100

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Wow ok that sounds awesome.

But so far what i've read is that you will need to seed it if you live rock never had any.
I mean it sounds like you would have to spark it's existence if they never tagged along any other live items that you bought and put in the tank.

Pods just appear either from corals,rocks that you didnt dip. Reefer that give free cheato most of the time contain pods in it.

For my nano, it take a week to see pods from a rock in the dt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi peeps!

in your experience, how long does it take for you guys to start seeing pods in the refugium?

Let's say you setup a separate tank and seeded it and the live rock that was put in had no pods to begin with. 
The tank does not contain fish. So it's purely for pod cultivation.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Lenny,

when i first got the cheato from a different reefer and have put it in the back of my biocube after 2 month, i have check my back of my biocube and the display they breed alot of Pods and alot of small little green starfish brittle everywhere cover all my LR. The way i did it was have a 8 dollar LED light bulb from Homedepot and put it behind my biocube and leave it on for 6-8hours a day :)

• SRC Member

My tank is running wild with amphipods, they run around the rock, frags all day B)

Nitrates at 10ppm, daily blasting of rocks to get detritus off. That usually get them actively running ard

I'm actually trying to catch some of them to feed my mantis..