Seachem purigen

I have read about the product Seachem Purigen and it claims that it could remove ammonia, nitrites and nitrates effectively from the water. The best thing is that this product allows regeneration using of house bleach. :yeah: Has anyone in the forum tried this product? Good/bad? :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

ARI,

jus one question regarding Purigen?

Did u put your purigen in your sump for a day and remove it the next day?(someone told me this is the corect way to use Purigen)

Or u put it in your sump until the resin change colour?

:thanks:

I've been using it for 3 months already (in combination with coralife nitrate controller) and nitrate is low.

was told not to overdose it.

put it in my cannister for water to pump thru, and apprarently that's the most effective way to use. requires fine mesh media bag though.

• SRC Member

EbiTank,

So wat's your view on Purigen?

Gd? I heard it control algae problem too? Is it true?

Regarding my queries to ARI , did u put i your Purigen in your canister permanently or you remove it after one day?

I was told not to overdose it too...if not it will absorb all the nutrient in your tank :blink: r u told the same thing?

hi dodo, sorry to reply so slow, you can put your purigen in the sump up to six months. Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh filter bag. Each 100ml treats up to 100gallons for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black. Purigen rapidly removes nitrogenous waste, polishes better than diatom filter and it has no impact on trace elements, that's why I had being using it for the past 8 years.It really makes the difference to see your reef tank look crystal clear!!!

boxfish, I'm not from SEACHEM, I Being in this hobby for the past 20 years since the 80s. I tried many seachem products but NOT all SEACHEM ARE GOOD!! ONLY CERTAIN SEACHEM PRODUCTS AER REALLY WORKS LIKE SEAGEL, PURIGEN , PHOSHGUARD JUST TO NAME A FEW.

sorry, i very kia-su, using actually:

purigen + nitrate controller + Carbon + poly filter all together,

reason: only 22 gal tank, and DSB not functional yet, so resort to all these chemical filtration stuff to keep nitrates in control, my last tank had a major red slime algae bloom problem.

but this tank, so far so good, but then still cannot overload with life stock, cos nothing will help 10 fishes in a 2 ft tank !!!

dodo, algae prob may be due to phosphates too, you may need other stuff like phosguard to the rescue.

it costs abt $26 for a small bottle. let me know if anyone wants to try, I dun mind sharing out the cost proportionately depending on how much you need, as I still have 85% of the bottle left. (pm me). may give you a feel of how useful you find it before buying a whole bottle...

but i wouldn't bleach them to recycle as directed on the label..dun feel safe, just replace with new ones.

• SRC Member
sorry, i very kia-su,
hehe...glad to know tat I am not the only kiasu fella ard

dodo, algae prob may be due to phosphates too, you may need other stuff like phosguard to the rescue
I am using phosguard + carbon too...but algae problem still exist....I suspect is my Taiwanese PS no good

But anyway, EbiTank, thank you for replying :)

• SRC Member
hi dodo, sorry to reply so slow, you can put your purigen in the sump up to six months. Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh filter bag. Each 100ml treats up to 100gallons for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black. Purigen rapidly removes nitrogenous waste, polishes better than diatom filter and it has no impact on trace elements, that's why I had being using it for the past 8 years.It really makes the difference to see your reef tank look crystal clear!!!

Thank you ARI, roughly got the idea of how to use Purigen :D I wanted to try Purigen a couple of months back...but after what LFS told me abt the removal of trace elements etc, I decided not to buy. jus wanna get a confirmation on how it is used...becos LFS may not know too much into wat they are selling :thanks: