My New DIY Beckett Skimmer

weisoon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
tats true..i forgot...

it uses a curved joint inside the cylinder and also a curved one outside.......just like the one my H&S uses to attach the needlewheel pump

u are right, not easy to make or get here i think :)

Roidan bro,

the curved joint is not a pipe part. Its known as welding. This is the strongest method of joining pvc to acrylic or even to any plastic surface.

It requires a high heat specialized tool to melt special plastic welding rods to bond them together.....very much like iron welding.

• SRC Member
yeah....not any tom, dick or harry can do such welding i guess...

definitely not many of us here....just a handful i guess :)

I dun think anyone here can do welding. The equipment costs $1000 plus. I checked actually. Wondering about the small portable sets though.

If anyone here can do welding, I'd really like to know you. hahaha

In the meantime, I'll just use weld-on 16.

• SRC Member
oic...

tat's the base of my DIY calcium reactor...

really well made i must say

hahaha let me guess. It must be from Alvy. His workmanship and products are truly one of the best. And he doesn't stinge on quality. Price is reasonable too.

Too bad he doesn't have time. Otherwise we would be seeing more DIYs from him.

• SRC Member

Cookie,

Just to comfirm that is it possible to weld PVC to Acrylic using PVC rods? As what I have seen some products, it is possible, however, asked some PVC shops and they said that they tried doing it and not successful.

Roidan

Just to comfirm that the cal reactor that alvy made for you, if you do not mind telling, is the body clear sch40 PVC?

• SRC Member

Roidan

Base as can see is a PVC maybe 0.5 to 0.75 inches. More interested in the body. Just like I mentioned to Cookie, there may still have a problem to weld PVC to Arcylic. If the body is a clear schedule 40 PVC pipe, the the joint will be perfect! Soild!

• SRC Member

I dun think anyone here can do welding. The equipment costs $1000 plus. I checked actually. Wondering about the small portable sets though.

If anyone here can do welding, I'd really like to know you. hahaha

In the meantime, I'll just use weld-on 16.

Hello Bro,

Can you please info me where you get the Weld-On 16. Is it locally?? Thank You :lol:

• SRC Member

WOW the skimmer look power men :lol: . Can show the performance.! Btw, i've completed the skimmer also, but no time to test it lei. will test it asap...

:lol::lol:

Soory i don't have lobang for the pump you wanted. pai seh

• SRC Member
Cookie,

Just to comfirm that is it possible to weld PVC to Acrylic using PVC rods? As what I have seen some products, it is possible, however, asked some PVC shops and they said that they tried doing it and not successful.

Roidan

Just to comfirm that the cal reactor that alvy made for you, if you do not mind telling, is the body clear sch40 PVC?

Well I dunno why those shops said that. Perhaps its more to it than I know. However, if you see most high end skimmers, their pipe joints are done this way. I do know its not cheap though.

Its amazing, now the cost of any skimmer or calcium reactor will have to plummet cos we can now build anything using acrylic just by asking any laser cutter shop in town to cut it to size for us, then just glue.

And best of all it would be super precise.

Thanks for sharing all this info weisoon. We should meet up someday to work on more interesting projects. hehehehe ;)

• SRC Member

Cookiemuster

You are most welcome. Really puzzled me because like what I said, seen a 'rotating calcium reactor' think you know what and where I am refering ;) , the joint around the tube to the flanges is PVC welded, I am quite sure.

The not cheap PVC welding shop think I know where it is. I will try to source for a cheaper place through some contacts.

Going to make a sump out of PVC plates, 10mm-15mm. Front will be arcylic also same dimension. It will be PVC weld. Hope to get it done cheap. Think someone will be interested. Spoke to him last night. :D

• SRC Member
Cookiemuster

You are most welcome. Really puzzled me because like what I said, seen a 'rotating calcium reactor' think you know what and where I am refering ;) , the joint around the tube to the flanges is PVC welded, I am quite sure.

The not cheap PVC welding shop think I know where it is. I will try to source for a cheaper place through some contacts.

Going to make a sump out of PVC plates, 10mm-15mm. Front will be arcylic also same dimension. It will be PVC weld. Hope to get it done cheap. Think someone will be interested. Spoke to him last night. :D

Bro its not recommended to do sump that way. Although PVC is stronger, the weld joins will not be as strong as acrylic to acrylic. And cost wise is not very much cheaper and will be more expensive if going for welding. Its also not as perfect fit since its outside weld and not internal weld which cannot be achieved in the same effectiveness as acrylic glue when used to melt two pieces together internally. The welder has to do a very good job to ensure it doesn't leak as the area is huge.

Best to go for full acrylic using 8mm with bracing at bottom, sides and edges.

• SRC Member
Pvc welded joints are as good as acrylic IMO...provided they are the same material

They are good for pvc to acrylic because thats the best option. But compared to perfect seals which can be easily achieved with same plastics...ie acrylic to acrylic, its not the best option. And not cost effective too.