Extending DI resin lifespan

Wondering if it help if I dose anti chlorine to my water drum before going through my 3 stage DI (carbon / di)

Most of the time I run di filter by circulating thru a pump (drum store with untreated water)and not direct from taps.

Any users can share?

6 minutes ago, he said:

Running carbon before the di will help extend the lifespan of the di resin.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

So does it matter if I remove the chlorine (using anti chlorine liquid) and will thus increase carbon life span and thus the DI resin?

Or it does not make a difference?

• SRC Member

Before you do that, maybe you can measure the TDS of your tap water and compare it to TDS of tap water with anti-chlorine... I've heard that anti-chlorine actually raises the TDS and your resin may actually be expended faster...

If there's no difference, then I think there's no harm trying...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Angel Keeper said:

Before you do that, maybe you can measure the TDS of your tap water and compare it to TDS of tap water with anti-chlorine... I've heard that anti-chlorine actually raises the TDS and your resin may actually be expended faster...

If there's no difference, then I think there's no harm trying...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

good idea will try that to see any difference in TDS readings. Just that I have extra anti chlorine and toying with this idea.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Supporter
1 hour ago, jvega888 said:

How can we know that the DI resin has been fully used?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

You need to have a TDS meter to check the tds level if the resin has been exhausted. 

• SRC Member

Carbon before the DI filter removes chlorine so that the DI resin won't be damaged by the chlorine. By adding anti-chlorine, chlorine will be removed so the DI resin won't be damaged. However, anti-chlorine typically uses an ionic salt (sodium thiosulphate). So adding anti-chlorine would increase the TDS and would exhaust the DI resin faster than if carbon were used. So only if the damage caused to the DI resin is negligible as compared to the additional salts added in the form of anti-chlorine, would I think that running the DI resin without anti-chlorine would be better. Otherwise, maybe adding anti-chlorine is better than running without anti-chlorine and carbon.