DAN dive insurance

kelstorm

Anybody bought it?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Anybody bought it?

• Yes, i bought DAN
    • No, but i have other insurances that cover diving
    • No, i dun care
    • Must buy insurance meh? Me expert diver already!
    • Have not buy it yet but I will seriously consider buying!

• SRC Member

I just want to know who bought it for their dives. I cant make up my mind between standard, master or preferred plan.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
"Have not buy it yet but I will seriously consider buying! "

Just added this in.

Coz I fit in there!

Thanks... me fitted in there too..

me already have 4 insurance policies and have loaded them so that it covers me for diving but still considering getting DAN... damned.. money is not enuff...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Should definitely buy the insurance. I am on the standard plan.

The use of a decompression chamber is not cheap.

When I was doing my live-on-board in Thailand last year, the owner of the boat is still recovering from decompression sickness (he has used the decompression chamber a few times). He has done more than 4000 dives. He told us that the reason he got it was that he was forced to surface from 30m without interval because one of his passenger panicked.

Hence I think it is not a matter of dive experience, it is based on circumstances.

• SRC Member

The DAN Standard Plan offers coverage for medical charges for decompression illness (DCI), which includes both arterial gas embolism (AGE) and decompression sickness (DCS) sustained on a dive or a Repetitive Dive Series to a maximum depth of 40 metres. This plan provides US$45,000 coverage for hyperbaric fees, physicians and medical supplies used in the treatment of DCI.

The DAN Master Plan provides US$125,000 coverage for medical charges for decompression illness and all covered in-water injuries) sustained on a dive or a Repetitive Dive Series to a maximum depth of 50 metres. The Master Plan also offers up to US$10,000 in accidental death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a covered Diving Accident; plus up to US$10,000 (Australian residents) or US$15,000 (non-Australian residents) in permanent total disability benefits arising from a covered Diving Accident.

The DAN Preferred Plan provides US$250,000 coverage for medical charges a Diving Accident. The Preferred Plan also offers up to US$10,000 in accidental death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a covered Diving Accident; plus up to US$10,000 (Australian residents) or US$15,000 (non-Australian residents) in permanent total disability benefits from a covered Diving Accident sustained on a dive to any depth, provided that the Member held appropriate certification for the dive, and was using appropriate breathing gas mixes and equipment during the dive or Repetitive Dive Series.

So the question is:

a. In case of AGE/DCS, what is the cost like for compression chamber, heli evac, hospital, etc? is US45K/US125K/US250K enough? If you think you are going to really remote dive site the cost maybe higher.

b. For death & dismemberment, DAN coverage is secondary coverage. After any other coverage you may have, DAN pays up to 100 percent of reasonable and customary costs of all remaining eligible expenses.

So looks like for recreational diver Standard Plan is all you need.

• SRC Member

Thanks... me fitted in there too..

me already have 4 insurance policies and have loaded them so that it covers me for diving but still considering getting DAN... damned.. money is not enuff...

Kel,

Which local insurance company that covers diving?

Regard

• SRC Member

Kel,

Which local insurance company that covers diving?

Regard

i bought from Prudential and AIA... but u must declare that u are a diver but only leisure... so, they will make u take a form and probably either exclude u in the event the sickness is diving related or include u in but at a higher premium...

i'm in the latter... paying my ###### off every month...

Take a look at other plans like personal accident etc... instead of the normal life plan.. i have 3 AIA plans.. all individuals.. but declared that i'm a diver...

• SRC Member
Should definitely buy the insurance. I am on the standard plan.

The use of a decompression chamber is not cheap.

When I was doing my live-on-board in Thailand last year, the owner of the boat is still recovering from decompression sickness (he has used the decompression chamber a few times). He has done more than 4000 dives. He told us that the reason he got it was that he was forced to surface from 30m without interval because one of his passenger panicked.

Hence I think it is not a matter of dive experience, it is based on circumstances.

so, u are the only with the DAN.. ok, is the prices based on Aussie dollars? if so, damned, it is so high now...

• SRC Member
juz apply for preferred plan. i pay like 185sing for it(DAMM) <_<

But bo pian lah. chamber in singapore is not cheap leh

the price for preferred is $125 plus single diver $60.. total is $185.. correct but in which currency?? i dun think it is in S$.. more like in A$.. better double check.

• SRC Member

(all prices in Australian Dollars AUS$)

Single Membership = $60

Family Membership = $85

Optional additional injury insurance

Standard Plan = $60

Master Plan = $75

Preferred Plan = $125

Additional Charges:

Add $10 for postage outside Australia

Add 10% GST within Austraila

Add Stamp Duty within Australia

Optional Fast Processing Charge of $10

• SRC Member
in A$

Get the preferred plan better kuz in case u go deep diving next time

It is a yearly insurance. I am sure for the next 1 year I will not go more than 40m... I hope so.

When time to renew than I'll ponder.

• SRC Member

It is a yearly insurance. I am sure for the next 1 year I will not go more than 40m... I hope so.

When time to renew than I'll ponder.

what are the chances that u will go that deep? for leisure, we seldom go beyond 25-28M...

• SRC Member
err touch and go Prince of wales:P

nah.. i'll pass on that...

• SRC Member
err touch and go Prince of wales:P

I heard a report than you can hover at 40m and still see the Repulse and Prince of Wales (70m) from that distance as the viz is good.

• SRC Member

Just checked,

for leisure diving most (dun dare to say all, there is always the exception) insurers do not impose any loading. If you have medical insurance that covers hospitalisation, than any hyparbaric treatment is also inclusive.

For those with doubts probably best to consult your individual insurer.

• SRC Member
better check AIA have loading so does NTUC.

But the chamber is no included, chamber and hospitalisation is different leh

yes.. i checked with my insurance agent already.. they do have loading.. but not so sure whether chamber is consider or not as part of the hospitalisation plan..

• SRC Member

actually u knw those kind if insurance agent who knock on ur door or juz looking for business on the street those kind....

I used to zesiao them with the chamber question :P

Agent on the prowl:"Hi do u have a minute"

Me:"Errrr"

Agent:"juz a minute Ok??"

Me:"OK"

Agent:"Would u like to take a look at our accident plan??"

After 5 mins

Me:"Does ur plan cover hyparbaric chamber??"

Agent:"Errrrrrrrrr errrrr wat is it??"

Me:"For Diving use one"

Agent:"Dont really knw, Let me check... "

Me:"BYE" :P

• SRC Member
actually u knw those kind if insurance agent who knock on ur door or juz looking for business on the street those kind....

After 5 mins

hehehe.. maybe i do that next time.. hehehe

• SRC Member

After 5 mins

Hyperbaric chamber??? Is that damage done when you are with a barbaric person in a chamber? That is a cruel sport?

:rolleyes:B):lol: