Is Yellowtail Damselfish aggressive ?

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
i had a yellowtail damsel with a velvet damsel and a tang. the yellowtail seems alright and meek. its the velvet that chases the yellowtail all round.

hmm.. thats weird... my black velvet damsel is the tamest of all.. everytime kena bullied... haha

well, fish are like us humans too, so you cannot say 100% that a certain fish won't do certain things :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

yellow tail demsel?? I never seen 1 which is not aggresive.... <_<<_<:D:D these fish are extremely hardy and difficult to remove once intoduce into the tank with liverock.... some members really spend a lot of time trying to remove it after they found that their yellow tail demsel causing problem to other fishes....

• SRC Member

Well, mixed opinions above.

I had bought a yellowtail damsel to finish cycling my QT. It survived no problem. Initially I intended to return it to the LFS. Later, I read that it was the least agressive of the damsel fish in a good book.

So I introduced it in my Display tank more than 6 weeks ago and have not had any problems. It is semi-shy. I've never observed it atempt anything against any other thank mate. Other tank mates are: 5 chromis, 2 banggai and one small BT. In fact the BT might be bullying the YT damsel a bit... Maybe because they look alike?

It could be wise not to introduce it as a first fish in a new aquarium thou. Let other fish establish their teritory first.

Cheers!!

• 2 weeks later...

I introduce one Yellowtail recently (was the last to be added into the tank)

For my word, they are really meek and timid. I guess the trick is never to introduce damsel in any tank first. always introduce it last.