problem with very high N03

As above... i keep changing 30-40% water a day...but still by N03 is very high at 100 mg/L.And lots of cynao and bad algale is growing madly on my sandbed.. .why is this so..how can i bring it down ?? PLs help..THANKS .. My fishes are okiee so far.. But how to prevent the cynao for blooming???? :angry:

• SRC Member

what is ur tank size and what are the fishes you are keeping..

what kind of filteration are you using?

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

orh..sorry for not including the full detailed :paiseh: okiee...bascially..my tank is 3 feet and no DSB and i am running a canister filter (i know N03 is also cause by this canister,but what are the other reasons? ) and my LS are..1 Yellow tang ..1 smalle sized morron clown ..1 BTA anemone..1 pumping xiena , star ploys, and mushroom.. 2 tube worm.. :thanks: and sorry for the shortage of info.. :paiseh::paiseh:

• SRC Member

canister filter usually contribute high NO3...

in short...when it's filtering.....the poo is moved away from your tank right?....it's stays in ur filter...water passes it...

what's the diff then...it's just moved away from your tank into the filter....tank water still washing the poo.....

in a refugium, there's algae to consume the NO3 and it lower it.

DSB helps too.....

May I suggest that you change to a sump/ref instead...if you can....

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

Get urself more LR, less feeding, gd skimmer, ensure low nitrate tap water, move house if necessary. Grow algae, add clam (provided lighting is gd).

Basically, i think the a/m shd help u to lower ur NO3. Another thing, get another brand of tester for confirmation. :lol:

canister filter usually contribute high NO3...

in short...when it's filtering.....the poo is moved away from your tank right?....it's stays in ur filter...water passes it...

what's the diff then...it's just moved away from your tank into the filter....tank water still washing the poo.....

in a , there's algae to consume the NO3 and it lower it.

DSB helps too.....

May I suggest that you change to a sump/ref instead...if you can....

:bow: okiee..thanks for the reply...orh..but can i set up a refugium now....should i need to drill any hole like a sump tank ?? THANKS and if possible..can teach me how to set-up ?? THANKS THANKS THANKS :bow::thanks:

Get urself more LR, less feeding, gd skimmer, ensure low nitrate tap water, move house if necessary. Grow algae, add clam (provided lighting is gd).

Basically, i think the a/m shd help u to lower ur NO3. Another thing, get another brand of tester for confirmation. :lol:

MOVE HOUSE ??????? :o:o:o:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: you kidding. ?? just because of high N03 in tap water?..any buffer in the market ..something like the PH buffer ..thanks..will think ways to set-up a refugium ..THANKS

Move house! :lol: that's farnie! :lol:

Hmmm... if you have to live with a canister, you have to live with long term problems with nitrates. No two ways about.

Hi I have been using canister for my marine 3 ft tank for 20 months and nitrates is always low because i have been washing or changing the cotton wool every 2 weeks plus using Rowaphos , my algea is oso well control.

U can try ......

Happy Reefing