What is the difference between the pumps?

blueheaven

Hi guys,

was just looking through a series of pumps and noticed that there is a VERY big price gap between different brands of pumps. :erm:

An example would be an E**im 1200lph pump was $100+ but a sic*e id*a 1300lph is $20+. sice their flowrate is almost the same, how come the price is so different?

then in this case, i might as well use a We*pr* 5000lph pump to pump my skimmer rather than a M*g Dr*v*.

Can anyone enlighten me on the reason? :thanks:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

The huge price difference is because the cheaper brand is not a external pump but just a powerhead.

Also the more expensive brand uses much better quality parts and materials. It also has a auto overheat cutoff feature so it will not run until it melts and burns.

well, i agree that some pumps are made to be internal pumps but we can always modify them to be external right? <_<

does the heat cutoff mean that the pump will auto turn off when too hot? :unsure:

but other than the warranty, auto cutoff and external usage, what other reasons which makes such a price difference?

what i am confused is that why people use pumps like Iw*k* to drive their skimmer when they can easily get a W*ipr* for half the price?

• SRC Member

well, i agree that some pumps are made to be internal pumps but we can always modify them to be external right? <_<

does the heat cutoff mean that the pump will auto turn off when too hot? :unsure:

but other than the warranty, auto cutoff and external usage, what other reasons which makes such a price difference?

what i am confused is that why people use pumps like Iw*k* to drive their skimmer when they can easily get a W*ipr* for half the price?

MODIFY THEM TO BECOME EXTERNAL?!?!?! You can't!!!

Please don't attempt to use an internal pump externally, you'll run the risk of it overheating, catching fire, who knows what....

Why the price difference? Buy a proton or mercedes... you pay for what u get...

pumps like the si**e can be modified to work outside water.

according to my friend, the adapter that comes with it enables this function :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
pumps like the si**e can be modified to work outside water.

according to my friend, the adapter that comes with it enables this function :lol:  :lol:

Any pump can be modified to work externally. But its not as simple as this.

Sicce can be modified to work externally but it is not designed to be that way because its supposed to be water cooled.

Eheim has thermal cutoff which will shut down the pump when it overheats. I do not know if SICCE has that.

However Sicce can be used for short periods of time using a timer when operated externally.

oic....then for return pump can use which brand and model?

sorri i sidetrack abit :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Cant compare between china made and germany made, as everyone know that germany product is very lasting and expensive. I myself use eheim filter and pump for more than 5yr without any problem.

However nowaday china made pump came in more and more and some of them has very high performance not lose out to germany made, so call cheap and good.

For return pump, has budget buy eheim, low budget than weipro

For model wise, depending on your thank size, i use weipro 7000 for my 4x2x2, very powerful (so call cheap and good)

whats the flowrate for weipro 7000? :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

I agree with Thioeh that the difference in price is because of the lifespan. I too have an Eheim pump for my outdoor pond and has been running for the last 3 years never fail. So depends on what is your budget. You can buy one eheim pump and run it for 5 years without any problem, or you can buy 3-5 china pump and change them over the course of 5 years. Ultimately, you still pay the same price, the difference is whether to pay it now or later.

Other than this, there is another difference that justify for the expensive pump. If you buy a high quality german made pump, you will have peace of mind that it will not fail at the most inconvenient time. If you calculate the price of the LS in your tank. They must be worth more than 5-10 times of what you pay for your pump. So do you want to sting on a pump and put your entire LS at risk?

BTW, I have found an ATMAN pump that has a 8500L/h rating, and 4M of head. And the price is only $120 as compare to an iwaki MD70 which will be about $1000. May be this one can be used for skimmer?

Cheers,

Patrick

• SRC Member

i gave up on those cheap china brands not becos of reliability but more becos they are noise. tried an atman 104 and the sound is untolerably. it is juz like a chiller, u pay more for a good brand and it works silently but get a lousy cheap one, u got to bear with the sound everyday!!!

maybe you could use a sponge or some cushion to lower the noise? :lol::lol::lol:

so anybody else got info on placing internal pumps externally? :lol::lol:

i will use a Ehiem for my return but what about those high powered ones to drive my skimmer? I would really like to place my skimmer externally. Anyone can recommend me any relatively lower costing pump? :thanks: