Hilmi's reef tank

Hilmi21

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I will be going for triton method soon. Currently planning for a new sump tank for the triton method. Have made a sketch on the sump with what im going to use in it. Below is the pic of how my new sump will look like. First chamber will be refugium. Im planning for a 2 by 2 by 1 refugium that will be lit by kessil H380. Then to the skimmer and medias and to the return. What do you guys think? Feel free to commentaaa77cdda92f3efa6d444f71e7ce8c58.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

I'm not an expert with Triton systems but based on my limited understanding, my comments as follows :

- Maximize the volume of the sump. Make the glass as high as possible but ensuring there is enough space to take equipment out

- Light does not need to be kessil. Seems like an over priced option unless you can afford it. Also, i don't think the Kessil can be hung high enough above the sump to give good spread. Perhaps select cheaper lights but spread it out for more surface coverage

- Compressor coil needs to be in a very high flow area.  I can't tell from the photo. If flow can't be improved, add a wavemaker there

Have you consulted Iwarna for the design?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
I'm not an expert with Triton systems but based on my limited understanding, my comments as follows :
- Maximize the volume of the sump. Make the glass as high as possible but ensuring there is enough space to take equipment out
- Light does not need to be kessil. Seems like an over priced option unless you can afford it. Also, i don't think the Kessil can be hung high enough above the sump to give good spread. Perhaps select cheaper lights but spread it out for more surface coverage
- Compressor coil needs to be in a very high flow area.  I can't tell from the photo. If flow can't be improved, add a wavemaker there

Have you consulted Iwarna for the design?
Hmm i think 1.5 feet for height is good enough so theres an easy access for maintainence and so on.
Refugium light i go with kessil as it say it can cover 2 by 2 feet and it has quite a good amount of power for algae to grow in the sump and outcompete with the algae in the main dt.
Good idea about having a wavemaker in the coil compartment. May consider that if flow not strong enough. Thank you so much bro
Im consulting iwarna

• SRC Member

hi - i'm on triton method and i can give a few tips based on my experience. 

• refugium 10-20% of display. (i'm sure u know already)
  • i have my Marine Pure in the refugium area. you can also have liverock in refugium
  • from ICP test - you might see high Si and Al, as siporax could leech Si, and MP leeches Al.
  • refugium water flow from top to skimmer compartment
  • water flow below from skimmer to return pump (to maximize contact area of skimmer with water - protein floats)
  • coil i put directly below the weir/comb so the water flowing down from refugium -> skimmer compartment create higher flow
  • i find too many MP could be too effective in reducing NO3 and might cause a problem for you to grow macroalgae. if me i will not use too many MP. (my opinion)
  • Po4 i only use as and when i see the trend of PO4 rising. if algae is growing healthily u will find very low reading of Po4 and No3. 
  • triton recommends full spectrum refugium light to grow all kind of macroalgae. i started with kessil h80 but later added another led white light for refugium.
  • refugium i have chaeto, caulerpa racemosa, red bamboo and red grape. initially chaeto is growing well but now is dying off and racemosa took over. 
  • i use carbon in filterbag once a while - (maybe once a month for 3-4 days?)

• SRC Member
hi - i'm on triton method and i can give a few tips based on my experience. 
  • refugium 10-20% of display. (i'm sure u know already)
  • i have my Marine Pure in the refugium area. you can also have liverock in refugium
  • from ICP test - you might see high Si and Al, as siporax could leech Si, and MP leeches Al.
  • refugium water flow from top to skimmer compartment
  • water flow below from skimmer to return pump (to maximize contact area of skimmer with water - protein floats)
  • coil i put directly below the weir/comb so the water flowing down from refugium -> skimmer compartment create higher flow
  • i find too many MP could be too effective in reducing NO3 and might cause a problem for you to grow macroalgae. if me i will not use too many MP. (my opinion)
  • Po4 i only use as and when i see the trend of PO4 rising. if algae is growing healthily u will find very low reading of Po4 and No3. 
  • triton recommends full spectrum refugium light to grow all kind of macroalgae. i started with kessil h80 but later added another led white light for refugium.
  • refugium i have chaeto, caulerpa racemosa, red bamboo and red grape. initially chaeto is growing well but now is dying off and racemosa took over. 
  • i use carbon in filterbag once a while - (maybe once a month for 3-4 days?)
Alright... the refugium has to be 10 to 20% of display i know
Hmm but MP in refugium area wont take the space below it meh? Cos its thick leh 4 inch
Yah thats what i plan to make double baffle first from refugium under and over to the skimmer compartment
Good idea about water flow below to return pump
Hmm if can i dont wanna put the coil in the refugium compartment
I may reduce the number of MP
Is kessil H380 a full spectrum for plant growth? I see BRS conduct and found out that h380 is the best refugium light so i decided to go with it
Thanks alot for your input