Corals for beginners ?

nleong

• SRC Member

Erm... are there such things ? Hardy and easy to keep for first timer ?

I want to stock up my tank once its cycled. So want to start looking for it now.

The best if there is a picture or something.... i just can't pronounce those very long and complicated latin names :paiseh:

Hi...May I add a question..Which are the corals that don't require chillers? i.e. easy, hardy, inexpensive, no chiller, nice looking....the best of all worlds. Thanks.

Plastic Corals :D

No matter what corals you are going for , basic requirement still apply.

• SRC Member

i went by marinelife just now, Henry was recommending soft corals like mushrooms. The rest he point to me but i can't remenber the name :P

anyway, nice guy, willing to help and advise. i think i will go back once my tank is fully cycled.

• SRC Member
i went by marinelife just now, Henry was recommending soft corals like mushrooms. The rest he point to me but i can't remenber the name :P

anyway, nice guy, willing to help and advise. i think i will go back once my tank is fully cycled.

Mushrooms and polyp colonies are good. Do a search on Zoanthids to see pictures of polyps.

Note: Many but not all soft corals are hardy. Avoid species of Xenia which may tend to die fast, and Dendronepthya sp. corals at least in the begining. Do a search on Yahoo! to find pictures of these.

• SRC Member

Wow thanx guys for the input, is softie very sensitive to salinity changes say 1.022+-2 ??? and dkh changes? asking this because i have not been successful with leather and the so called cauliflower, all unerected!!! Ganna feel like throwing ###### into the tank hahaha... :pinch: 20ppm nitrates also... but my alveopora, xenia and mushrooms are doing fine....

mind boggling situation.... : :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

My tank has mainly mushies and softies and they seem to be doing fine. They don't come into contact though.

Has anyone heard of mushies and softies being burnt because of high light intensity? I'm thinking of changing my PL lighting system to 150W MH.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

If properly acclimatised, no they won't be burnt under 150W, they will just grow like crazy and drive you nuts.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Yes. I agree with Tanzy. I am using a 150W 10k MH, my leather has grown to abt 25cm in diameter. Its covering everything else. Another softy is growing like crazy. May have to give it away soon. :(

TT,

My new 4 2 2 is nicely balance now and is looking for new tenants to occupy a few prime districts. Most willing to house yr give-aways. :P:D:thanks:

• SRC Member

anakjoh,

Had that experience with algae & star polyps. WHat u do is use a soft toothbrush to brush off the algae. after that it shld be ok.

Valleyman, i dont think u would want my leather cause it will cover a lot of space.

U can see it on the left hand side.

post-6-1045152767.jpg