Chiller Running Overtime

nqh71

Hi Guys,

I notice that my chiller really worked very hard this past few weeks. Is it because of the hot weather? Or is it time for me to service my chiller? And how often do we need to service our chiller? :thanks:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Me facing the same problem too. Possibly due to the extreme hot day and night :o

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

Wow.. you mount your chiller to the wall!..

Is that an external thermostat?..

Yes the weather is very hot : ( My teco 680 has been running for about 3 hours each time with 6 hours intervals for the past week.

hon,

but i am sure u will get more out of the chiller if you place it in a more ventilated place other than a bathroom....coz when the chiller starts working, the bathroom gets warmer and warmer and the efficiency of cooling will start to fall...

chiller works best when the air intake temperature and the air exhaust temperature are of a large temperature gradient...... i think :)

wow

think i rather buy a aircon with that kind of money spent somemore can cool my whole room

lol

actually if u know how to DIY, u can follow alvy and make a DIY chiller that will eventually look something like this kind of residential home aircon compressor units also ;)

imagine saying ...the chiller brand is DAIKIN, or SANYO, NATIONAL? :blink:

but for those who do not want to DIY, this artica will do the same, but for a much higher price than you DIY of coz :)

but saves you the time, the risks and the dangers of DIY :lol:

• SRC Member

bro roiden i use 1 cooling fan for one of my 2 footer

in the night when i switch on the aircon in my room the tenp will drop to 24 then in the day it will rise up to 27 the most without the aircon

do you think it is still essential for me tobuy a chiller?

pls advice

thanks

• SRC Member

Was at Hon house to help setup the chiller. The Arctica model is the 1/2HP, and the recommended rated flow should be at least 1800L/hr to 3000L/hr for pumping. Hon using a 10yr old 1060 @ 2400L, running thru a wall at the top to the toilet and back to tank for several metres. The actual flow come down to 1000L++ -> base on eheim flow chart @ 5metre length + 2 metre height.

I think a eheim 1262 at least or a Resun MD40, both 3400L @ 3.6M height, so with his long piping + height extension, he still can avg a chiller flow of 2000++L/hr. The 1/2HP 605W Arctica show chilling sightly faster than the 1080W 1.25HP Hailea. But result is not super duber :blink:

We still need to do 2 things and a couple of days to reconfirm.

1. Wait for the Compressor to break_in for better efficient.

2. Change to a bigger pump, like eheim 1262 or resun MD40. So we can pour in more cold water per hour. The Themostat is mount externally with 10metres of wire and plse do not refer to the website as info is old. The new Controller, comes with themostat + IC controller to do couple of things:

# shut down chiller if too hot

# test temperature for 3 mintues before shutting down or starting up to ensure no flase start due to different water column being such in thru pumping.

# freeze control to prevent freezing with low flow pumping -> less than ideal 1800L/hr flow by chiller pump. So the temperature of running water from chiller output can be maintain equal even with 1800L or 300L/hr flow.

#VERY POWERFUL FAN with low wattage. U can connect a aluminium air duct to direct the hot air out of the window. Too bad Hon disapprove due to ..............................

In anycase we attain 1 of our objective, that's to cut power consumption by 1/2 and improve performance. Anyway his power consumption will be low, since pump is shut down as IKS shut down chiller. The above 2 changes will show better data + result.

Max

in that case the chiller will not be in operation when your aircon is in use...

but when u are out...say during june/july when temperature soars....at least having a chiller will prevent the temperature from going too high when you are not around....

there will be more complications if your chiller has a heating function that will fight against your aircon when u are at home...but we shall not go into that for now...hehe

• SRC Member

My change to the same Artica Chiller should be more or less confirmed too. it all depends if the current chiller can cool the tank today in its new position. If not, then have to say bye2 to the chiller and will be getting the artica chiller to replace.

planning to mount the chiller above the tank since hot air rises? hehehe..

ya max,

i also suggest that the bathroom be ventilated as much as possible to prevent the exhaust temperature from affecting the airdraw input as much as possible...

i suggest him to put those bathroom exhaust fan at the small window to blow air out of the bathroom....just like what you suggest using the air duct to blow the hot air out....i think this will reduce runtime as well as maximise cooling per unit time due to a better temperature differential....

as the fan will blow warm air out and yet draw in cooler air from the house interior...

i think the fan at the window panel might be more tidylooking for hon than the airduct coil...hehe

hehe....just a theoretical suggestion, dunno if really works in practical applications or not.... :P

PS: ooops....bro hon told me he has got an exhaust fan liao...hehehe...8 to 10inch fan at the window....but i told him not enough...must get one as big as the window panel itself :P