Problems with NO3

piero

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi,

I cannot imagine high nitrate with so few livestock.

here's my suggestion:

1. frequent water change

2. use AZNO3 to cope with high level immediately. This is a temporary measure to maintain your tank while you:

a. locate source of nitrate contribution and eradicate it

b. incorporate DSB, refugium in your sump.

Limpc

• SRC Member

piero

may be u can give more info on yr tank, such as

a. filtration system, sump/dsb/protein skimmer?

b. how long hv u started?

c. feeding freq?

AZ-NO3 can be found at pac marine, $48. u need to hv a gd skimmer to go with it as well

:peace:

• SRC Member

I got a 2 1/2 sump tank, with a protein skimmer in it, some taiwanese brand skimmer powered by an ard 2000l/h powerhead.... Have a DSB in my sump tank too plus coral sand, poly filter and normal filter wool used for filtering.

Started in Dec, so going into my thrid month soon....

Only got 6 small fishes and a few mushrooms and a clam in tank, stocking slowly. I feed once a day due to my hectic schedule in school....

• SRC Member
I got a 2 1/2 sump tank, with a protein skimmer in it, some taiwanese brand skimmer powered by an ard 2000l/h powerhead.... Have a DSB in my sump tank too plus coral sand, poly filter and normal filter wool used for filtering.

Started in Dec, so going into my thrid month soon....

Only got 6 small fishes and a few mushrooms and a clam in tank, stocking slowly. I feed once a day due to my hectic schedule in school....

How big is your main tank?

• SRC Member

but anyway...u can try the AZNO3 thingy...i personally use nitrate sponge...less than 10ppm...unless u tell me u wanted 0ppm...then i got no other ways....but i said b4...in the book of THE SALTWATER AQUARIUM HANDBOOK by George Blasiola, it is stated in some tanks, it is near impossible to reach the lower limits of NO3...so dun try too hard :P

• SRC Member

i got mine from US.... :P maybe AZNO3 is a sort of nitrate sponge too but i really dunno becos never get to see wat is AZNO3 b4 :D

BUT i once saw Seachem nitrate sponge selling at Hawaii....err...not Hawaii in US hor...Hawaii the LFS in sembawang :D:lol:

oohh...btw my nitrate sponge is a kind of small rocks/pebbles...suppose to absorb nitrate :unsure:

• SRC Member
i got mine from US.... :P maybe AZNO3 is a sort of nitrate sponge too but i really dunno becos never get to see wat is AZNO3 b4 :D

BUT i once saw Seachem nitrate sponge selling at Hawaii....err...not Hawaii in US hor...Hawaii the LFS in sembawang :D:lol:

TanGo <-- Nitrate expert.. Hehehe

AZNO3 using active enzymes to deal with the nitrates..

work over a period of 30 days to see results..

Oh.. I have poly filter in my sump tank too and they are actually turning green... Is it ok?? :huh:

That means its working... :) thing to note is how long it took to turn green.

Once my polyfilter turned brown within 3 days, that was before I got my skimmer of course.

poly filter doesn really absorb no3 in sw tank. got this from the website:

Poly-Filter® may sorb some nitrate (NO3-) ions in freshwater. In natural or synthetic seawater nitrate (NO3-) ions cannot be retained by any chemical filtration media due to sulfate ions leaching action. Anytime the sulfate ions exceed 40 mg/L this nitrate leaching back out of filter media is observed. Poly-Filter® sorbs many organic wastes that are converted into nitrates thereby lowering nitrate formation

• SRC Member
They are also known as Poly filter..

Found in most Marine Aquarium shop..

Cost about $15-16 for a piece of 4 x 6"

$90++ for a large piece..

sorie...nitrate sponge is not poly filter

entirely different thingy :wacko::wacko::wacko:

my nitrate sponge is little pebbles...dun make people blur leh :blink:

• SRC Member

oohh...btw my nitrate sponge is a kind of small rocks/pebbles...suppose to absorb nitrate :unsure:

there...i posted last nite

• SRC Member
Dodo,

Can you tell me how does nitrate sponge works? absorb through bacteria or the bebbles itself? does it need to be replaced given a period of time?  :thanks:

it works exactly like carbon and phosguard....jus tat tis thingy is pebbles and hard in nature :pinch:

yes...it need to be replaced 6mths time(according to the instruction)

for those wif ample space in their sump/refugium...can go ahead wif DSB... but i am facing space constraint...so no no DSB for me :( alternative is nitrate sponge :D