Resun Pump

spade

• SRC Member

Laguna...from Italy, Wattage=55W

i have to go back to check whether it is pressure rated :blink:

1130gallon is more than 4000L....i thk it is stated 4925L :D

u wait for my reply tonite(on whether it is pressure rated)...hope tat i can find such info

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Laguna...from Italy, Wattage=55W

i have to go back to check whether it is pressure rated :blink:

1130gallon is more than 4000L....i thk it is stated 4925L :D

u wait for my reply tonite(on whether it is pressure rated)...hope tat i can find such info

Sorry Dodo....

really appreciate you for your help....

But I have a Laguna too and it is far from being effective in driving a Beckett....

and its not pressure rated.....

Thanks.....

• SRC Member

hello, I've been using the resun md55 for a long time now..almost 2yrs...very powerful pump..though it only pumps around 4000lph, it can push up to 6-8m head!!! I believe most powerheads are not pressure rated..it has a lot to do with the impellor design, on top of other factors!! our common powerheads employ open impellors which are not meant for back pressure operations! pressure rated external pumps employ closed impellor which basically provides more push then flow! You can have a pump that provides thousands of gallons of flow, but can't push hard enough to be effective for some pressure application. One more thning you can check is the output hole size of the most powerful powerheads..they are usually small, around 3/4 inch( oceanrunner 6500 uses 3/4 inch output, eheim 1060 as well as hailea 6500!)! a md55 has an output hole of 1 inch!!For those who have made their beckett skimmers to be used with their powerheads, did you use a 1 inch hose connector for the injector or 3/4 inch?? if u made used of 3/4 inch connector(most likely, deduced by the type of pumps r you all trying out)..you might have to change the hose fitting to a 1 inch one if u intend to use iwakis, external resun, etc..anyway the beckett is design to run with 1 inch or larger tubing!

I can vouch for that!

Alvy's right! Using my oceanrunner 6500, although it produces foam, it was nothing compared to an Iwaki MX70! It was so powerful, that starting up the pump could rock my whole 4ft high Alvyfoamer!!

It may work on smaller beckett skimmers though. Someone has to try it! :)

Hmm.... you should use a hose to connect if your pump outlet/inlets are not threaded for hard plumping using PVC pipes.

You can connect to a hose (secured with hose clamps) --> pvc hose adapter --> pvc piping.

The 1 inch threaded output of the IWaki uses standard PS pipe thread. You can use the standard PVC pipe fittings (JIS) for it. YOu can install a union couple at the output and input so that you can take your pump out easily for maintenance or replacement.

By the way I think Soon Heng at Bukit Merak View sells an Iwaki clone for around 200+ not sure though if it is still around as I saw it two months back. Must be the Resun mag pump that they mentioned. Soon HEng is a fresh water aqua shop.

Here's what it looks like.

The hose is attached to the pump inlet and the other end goes into a hose adapter which is connected to pvc piping.

Metal hose clamps are used to tighten the hose around the hose adapter/inlet to prevent accidental slippage.

post-17-1045499503.jpg

You do not need schedule 80 piping actually. Normal schedule 40 pvc pipe will do for your tank application. Schedule 80 is meant for working pressure of up to several hundred psi. There are two types of normal pvc piping one is thin walled. Try to get the thicker wall about 2 mm thick.

You are better off with the schedule 40 as it offers a bigger internal diameter thus less flow resistance. It is lighter as well. How many of you actually climb or use your piping as foothold?

For ball valves and pipe fittings , the Taiwan brand is more than enough to cater for your tank requirements.