Mod on Atman CS-400CIRV Chiller

Cedric

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
what if both pumps fail??? there is no 100%, IMO.

Alamak, if both pumps fails together then comfirm sway like shit.........

p/s: power failure no issue due to chiller will be cut out too.

Thanks for the help Cedric........

Eric

• SRC Member

Hi to all again,

with regards to the comments made by Sunray, I offer my views.

Sunray mention something along the line of temperature probe being soft and bends in strong water current.

Well, the probe of the FOX controller I use definitely will not bend. I suspect the probe Atman orginally use is quite soft.

Next, about the change of capacitor, were you refering to the small black box mounted on the bottom of the casing? That is wired to the compressor and nothing to do with the sensing of temperature.

Just for all to know, there are two different standards for the probes used in commerical temperature controllers. To sense the temperature, they read the resistance across the probe to tell the temp. If you do not want to use the orginal probe that comes with the controller (strongly not recommended), then you will have a hell of a time to find a capacitor/resistor to adjust to the correct voltage and current for the controller to give the correct reading.

I am making a guess here that Sunray is placing the probe of the new eliwell controller in the water reservoir. However, as the hole in the reservoir is quite small, he had to change to a smaller non-orginal probe and hence had to use another capacitor to compensate in order to get a true reading of the temperature. Er . . . A long shot but let me know how wrong is my guess ok? :D

To Sunray, can I know which capacitor are you talking about? I'm really confused! :thanks:

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member
You guys can just shift the temp probe very near to the inlet of the heat exchanger and the freezing problem can be solved already.

Hi Weilong, excellent suggestion! We can place the probe in the pipes between the chiller feed pump and the chiller!!! That way if the pump fails, water will stop running and temp will remain more or less constant! :D

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Hi Weilong, excellent suggestion! We can place the probe in the pipes between the chiller feed pump and the chiller!!! That way if the pump fails, water will stop running and temp will remain more or less constant! :D

But by placing inside the pipe, will it restrict the water flow?

• SRC Member

Why dont wire the thermostat externally? It will solve all the probelms and there is no modification done to the chiller so the warranty is still valid.

My controller comes with 3m long silicon PTC probe and with resolution of 0.1degrees. Provide free calibration and installation ;)

*The actual temperature controller box does not have any switches*

post-17-1082718459.jpg

• SRC Member
Why dont wire the thermostat externally? It will solve all the probelms and there is no modification done to the chiller so the warranty is still valid.

My controller comes with 3m long silicon PTC probe and with resolution of 0.1degrees. Provide free calibration and installation ;)

Oh! I did discuss that with lightningstrike. Its a hell lot easier than what we are doing but we didn't want to hear the beeps every time it comes on! :)

Comments are welcome!

hi,

How much is this controller box?

Thinking of getting it to control the pump of the chiller. Can it work that way too?

• SRC Member

hi,

Thinking of getting it to control the pump of the chiller. Can it work that way too?

I think the black plastic control boxes are quite cheap from Sim lim tower (does not include all the switches!) and you can easily wire it to control the pump as well!

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

hi,

$120, it can be used to control up to 1000watts of equipments at anytime.

This controller box also can be modified to shut down the MH bulbs if the temperature exceeds a certain temperature if you decided not use it for yr chiller. The modification will enable 2800watts of load.

• SRC Member
$120??? Does it include the temperature controller and switches???  :o

It will come with

1x temperature controller

1x 3m silicon PTC probe

1x black plastic box

1x special 3pin socket for the atman chiller

All internal wirings are rated at 600V which is originally used for aircon. Additional switches can be added but its excluded to minimise internal wiring as the wires used are very thick and stiff.

Free on site calibration and installation with mercury lab thermometer. ;)

• SRC Member
May I ask is this a problem only with Atman chiller? Why other chillers don't need external thermostat? So does this mean that who ever have not bought Atman chiller, do not buy it?

Atman chillers comes with a rather simple thermostat which cannot be tweaked and the temperature delta is set at 0.5degrees. This will force the chiller to switch on when there is a 0.5degrees increase in temperature.

Some chillers like hailea, teco also have probelms with too frequent start up. Thats why you will need a external thermostat to overwrite the existing one.

Atman given its low cost and efficiency, its a very good buy. I can cool a 4x2.5x2.5 with 500watts of MH with the atman chiller.

• SRC Member
$120, it can be used to control up to 1000watts of equipments at anytime.

This controller box also can be modified to shut down the MH bulbs if the temperature exceeds a certain temperature if you decided not use it for yr chiller. The modification will enable 2800watts of load.

WoW .. good pricing .. somemore chiller warranty also wouldn't void huh .. ;)

mydog.gif

• SRC Member
Hi Sunray,

could you be so kind to enlighthen me on the questions I posted? THanks! :thanks:

Wanna say thanks to Cedric for helping me mod the external temp. controller to my Atman chiller. Will feedback the chiller run time......

Eric

• SRC Member

Wanna say thanks to Cedric for helping me mod the external temp. controller to my Atman chiller. Will feedback the chiller run time......

Eric

Eric... so u mod your chiller liao! Should be much much better liao rite? ;)

• SRC Member

Hi everyone again!

Calciumreef made a valid point previously about the water reservoir freezing up since the external probe will sense a high temp while in the main tank even when the chiller pump fails.

This has set me thinking quite abit. :(

Finally, I came up with a rather simple solution! :D

I'll use two controllers together! The orginal atman controller will be set at a lower temp say 24 degrees with the temperature probe in the reservoir. The new external FOX temperature controller will be wired in series and set at a higher temp of 25 degrees.

For the chiller to run, both controllers must be triggered on. So lets say when the temp has lowered from 26 degrees to 25 degrees, the FOX external controller will turn the relay off while the atman controller will remain on. Net effect, the chiller remains off!

If the worse case brought up by calciumreef happens, i.e. chiller pump or return pump fails, the FOX controller will sense a high temp and remain on. But the atman internal controller will sense a low temp in the reservoir and turn off the chiller at the preset 24 degrees!!!

Finally problem is solved! With that in mind, I decided to mod my own chiller!!! :D

Comments are welcome!