Too Many Carbon

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Saw the poll about popularity of 4 types of carbon. I would like to ask a simple question. Is there any difference between carbon used for fresh water and marine water ?

The prices of carbon varies too much, from China branded to high end branded.

Limpc

• SRC Member

The good quality carbon have numerous micro-pores to absorb the impruities in the water. They are also less likely to leach back the stuff they have already absorbed.

The bad ones have little capacity for absorption and will often contain phosphorus.

To be safe, I use the German made brands.

• SRC Member

actually i don't quite understand abt things leaching out of the carbon when it's full. i understand that when things are full, they will just stop absorbing. how can the things that are already in leach out? if they leach out, does it means it's empty again????

take for example, i pour water into a container, then it's full, the water will just overflow. how can the water which is already in the full container get out????

• SRC Member

The water container physically holds the water in but for carbon the substances are absorbed or adsorbed to the surface of the carbon granules by weak chemical forces. These substances can easily be displaced by another substance or can be released by biological action on the surface.

If carbon is left too long in the system, bacteria will start growing on it and the acids produced by the bacteria may cause the release of some of the bound up substance on the carbon, regardless whether it is saturated or not. Actually carbon should be replaced every 2 weeks whether it is saturated or not. Also it's nearly impossible to tell if the carbon is saturated anyway.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Since we are in this topic, may I know what you guys practise?

1) Leave carbon in the system 24/7, replace after a period of time, say 3 months.

2) Use carbon only few days in a month to avoid it absorbing away useful stuffs.

3) Don't use carbon unless necessary, for example, yellowing of water.

Thanks.

• SRC Member

I'm for 3). I use a small amount of carbon and phosguard for about a week or two then pull it out. If I'm away from home, the carbon might get left for a month before being taken out.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Once bacteria colonises the surface of the carbon and phosguard, they are as good as useless and they might cause some of the absorbed substances to leach back into the water. That's why it is more efficient to use small amounts replaced constantly than large amounts for long duration.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

I'm on the 3.

Me using Lg pack of chemipure + 1L of Dupla carbon for my 180G tank. I always leave it in the sump though I rinse it every week when I do husbandry. I thinkrinsing of dirt off the carbon and mesh-bag will increase the effective lifetime of the carbon this way. Intend to replace these carbon every 3 mths....monitoring still.

So far, not using PhosGuard yet, dun see the need.

• SRC Member

I use both Seachem & Chemi-pure. Though packing said product can last for a few months, but i changed monthly.....expensive man :P

Just a thought, do u guys always rinse yr carbon with tap water? won't it absorb some of the tap water (with chlorine) & leach back to yr tank. I usually rinse with tap water follow by water treated with de-chlorine & phosguard :huh: